Re: Shiloh Geography 101

  • Will
    Message 1 of 92 , Apr 7, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
      > Grant contradicts you: "The position of our troops made a
      continuous
      > line from Lick Creek on the left to Owl Creek, a branch of Snake
      > Creek, on the right, facing nearly south and possibly a little west
      > [although he lied about the line's being continuous]." If Grant
      > considered Stuart to be part of his line, why shouldn't you?

      Our discussion was about what constituted the front and what
      constituted the flank. As I see it, the Grant comment you quoted
      does not provide any clarity on this issue beyond stating that Lick
      Creek was on the left and Owl Creek on the right.

      > Besides, it would have been awfully stupid to march Wallace to the
      > landing, where he would pass the roads to Sherman and to the front.

      From the Landing, Wallace would be in position to advance to the
      support of any portion of the fighting.

      > If you need more proof, Sherman, who wasn't even directly involved
      > in this controversy, agreed with everyone except Grant and Rawlins;
      > he wrote in his memoirs: "He [Grant] also told me that on his way
      up
      > from Savannah that morning he had stopped at Crump's Landing, and
      > had ordered Lew Wallace's division to cross over Snake Creek, so as
      > to come up on my right, telling me to look out for him."

      The timing of when Grant told this to Sherman is not clear to me. By
      midday, when Sherman's position was to the rear of where it started,
      Sherman was to look for Wallace's coming which would certainly be on
      his right, in fact Rowley mentions that Sherman would ensure the
      security of the bridge on the River Road. Sherman wrote that at the
      end of the day "my right then covered the bridge over Snake Creek by
      which we had all day been expecting Lew Wallace", indicating that he
      understood that Wallace had always been expected to arrive by the
      River Road.

      > No one, excepting Grant and his ambiguous claims, stated that
      > Wallace was to go the landing itself. No one, not even Baxter who
      > wrote out the orders, mentioned the rear of Smith's camps, as
      > Rawlins did. Everyone else explicitly mentions a position on
      > Sherman's right flank or generally describes a location which does
      > not conflict with that position.

      Baxter stated that the order was "to march his command at once by the
      River Road to Pittsburg Landing" and Rawlins also stated that Wallace
      was to move to Pittsburg Landing, thus indicating that your above
      remark was incorrect. Rawlins also mentions the rear of Smith's
      camps, which is where the River Road intersects with the main roads
      to the front.

      ~Will
    • Will
      Message 92 of 92 , Apr 11, 2003
        > ...Lewis Cass (first governor of
        > Michigan I believe)...

        He was also a general in the war of 1812, Secretary of War under
        Jackson, Secretary of State under Buchanan [until he resigned during
        the secession crisis] and the Democratic Party's Presidential
        Candidate in 1848 (lost to Taylor), in addition to a bunch of other
        sutff (amassador, congressman, senator)