Re: Lew Wallace's Destination

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 92 , Apr 3, 2003
      <josepharose@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Will" <wh_keene@y...>
      wrote:
      > > > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose"
      > > <josepharose@y...>

      > > > How did you come up with 'left'?
      > >
      > > Grant's position at Shiloh didn't get any more *left* than the
      > > Tennessee River.
      >
      > Not really sure what you are talking about.
      > The Tennessee river was to the rear; Lick Creek was to the left;
      Owl
      > Creek to the right.
      >
      > ~Will

      Mr. Keene:

      Almost every full version of the battle of Shiloh notes that the
      front line--of camps before the battle as well as the front line at
      the start of the battle--ran from McDowell to Stuart. This line
      trends generally East-West. Even the map to which you referred me
      indicated this, as did Grant, Sherman and almost everybody else.

      The stretch of the Tennessee next to the army ran roughly north-
      south. That made it the demarcation of the left of the army.

      If you were correct in stating that the Tennessee was to the army's
      rear, then Sherman would have been on the left and Stuart was to the
      rear. As they weren't, you are wrong.

      Joseph
    • Will
      Message 92 of 92 , Apr 11, 2003
        > ...Lewis Cass (first governor of
        > Michigan I believe)...

        He was also a general in the war of 1812, Secretary of War under
        Jackson, Secretary of State under Buchanan [until he resigned during
        the secession crisis] and the Democratic Party's Presidential
        Candidate in 1848 (lost to Taylor), in addition to a bunch of other
        sutff (amassador, congressman, senator)