Re: Map making

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 92 , Apr 3, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:

      > > Exactly. I don't fault him for not knowing the roads intimately
      >
      > How was local topographic information disseminated?
      >
      > IIRC, while campaigning, the AotP send out squads every day to
      glean
      > local information and then the mapmakers worked all night
      compiling
      > maps which were *photographed* in the morning for daily use.
      >

      > HankC

      I think that the AotC had a similar cartographic capability using
      photography, and it was reckoned to be very thorough and fast.

      Joseph
    • Will
      Message 92 of 92 , Apr 11, 2003
        > ...Lewis Cass (first governor of
        > Michigan I believe)...

        He was also a general in the war of 1812, Secretary of War under
        Jackson, Secretary of State under Buchanan [until he resigned during
        the secession crisis] and the Democratic Party's Presidential
        Candidate in 1848 (lost to Taylor), in addition to a bunch of other
        sutff (amassador, congressman, senator)