Map making

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 92 , Apr 3, 2003
      > Exactly. I don't fault him for not knowing the roads intimately

      How was local topographic information disseminated?

      IIRC, while campaigning, the AotP send out squads every day to glean
      local information and then the mapmakers worked all night compiling
      maps which were *photographed* in the morning for daily use.

      HankC
    • Will
      Message 92 of 92 , Apr 11, 2003
        > ...Lewis Cass (first governor of
        > Michigan I believe)...

        He was also a general in the war of 1812, Secretary of War under
        Jackson, Secretary of State under Buchanan [until he resigned during
        the secession crisis] and the Democratic Party's Presidential
        Candidate in 1848 (lost to Taylor), in addition to a bunch of other
        sutff (amassador, congressman, senator)