Re: Lew Wallace's Destination

  • bjer50010
    Message 1 of 92 , Apr 3, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Will" <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "bjer50010" <bjewell@i...> wrote:
      > > ...As to the communication between WHL and Lew Wallace, Lew
      > apparently
      > > sent his cavalry to follow the Shunpike route in compliance with
      > his
      > > assurances in that letter. The cavalry arrived at Owl Creek and
      > > discovered that it was occupied by Sherman's division. No further
      > > attempts were made, apparently to find WHL's campsite. This comes
      > from
      > > Lew's writings in B&L.
      >

      > 1. It being April 5th, there really wasn't time to make further
      > attempts before the battle.

      Exactly. I don't fault him for not knowing the roads intimately, my
      main point was that he only knew the Shunpike and that explains why he
      chose to use that road. It had nothing to do with Grant's orders, as
      Wallace had already decided on which road to take.

      > 2. Prior to the battle Wallace had advanced his force out from
      > Crump's as far as Adamsville, where a brigade was posted; the letter
      > to WHL Wallace of the 5th refers to Adamsville as the location of his
      > HQ; Wallace's effort to secure reinforcements from the rest of the
      > army was focused on linking to his advanced position at Adamsville--
      > he informed WHL Wallace that he was sending his cavalry from
      > Adamsville. From Adamsville the best route to communicate with the
      > army at Pittsburg landing was via Sherman's position. Note that the
      > route from Adamsville would not use the Shunpike; rather the Shunpike
      > was short cut between Stoney Lonesome and the road from Adamsville to
      > Shiloh.

      That certainly explains his performance and why he would not be aware
      of the River Rd. or cross roads leading to it. It would also explain
      why he concentrated at Stoney Lonesome, rather than Crump's Ldg. And
      yes, from Adamsville the Shunpike would be the quickest route to the
      Purdy Rd. Again, this makes sense and it explains how he arrived at
      his decision.

      > 3. However, from Grant's perspective, Wallace had his force at
      > Crump's Landing. During the days before the battle, when Wallace
      > wrote to Grant it had the header of 'HEADQUARTERS THIRD DIVISION,
      > Crump's Landing' and when he described the build up at Purdy and
      > requested a pair of recently arrived batteries be sent his way, Grant
      > directed that the batteries be sent to Crump's and that WHL Wallace
      > (the division positioned closest to Crump's), with back-up by Sherman
      > and Hurlbut, be prepared to reinforce Lew Wallace at Crump's Landing.
      > The focus of Grant's efforts to support Wallace, and to communicate
      > with him, are directed at Crump's. From Crumps' Landing, the logical
      > route to the rest of the army was by the River Road and a route to
      > Owl Creek by Sherman's position did not make sense.

      Exactly. And that's why I think it was a case of a serious
      misunderstanding. Both men acted consistently with their, admittedly
      incomplete, understanding of the roads between Wallace's and Grant's
      positions. But I don't think Wallace reacted to Grant's order, I think
      he acted according to his own understanding of which road was the
      fastest route to join Grant.

      > ~Will

      JB Jewell
    • Will
      Message 92 of 92 , Apr 11, 2003
        > ...Lewis Cass (first governor of
        > Michigan I believe)...

        He was also a general in the war of 1812, Secretary of War under
        Jackson, Secretary of State under Buchanan [until he resigned during
        the secession crisis] and the Democratic Party's Presidential
        Candidate in 1848 (lost to Taylor), in addition to a bunch of other
        sutff (amassador, congressman, senator)