Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Lew Wallace's Destination

  • Jfepperson@aol.com
    Message 1 of 92 , Apr 3, 2003
      In a message dated 4/3/2003 2:04:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, bjewell@... writes:

      > Thanks for an interesting reply. I hadn't realized that a similar
      > situation occurred at Donelson. Grant's post war writings are mostly
      > quite complimentary to Wallace in general and I don't think their
      > relationship was as acrimonious as the discussions here seem to get.
      > There seemed to be a level of respect between them.
      > Unusual given Wallace wasn't a professional soldier.

      Grant was quite fulsome in his praise of Wallace's efforts
      at Monocacy Junction, in the summer of 1864. (Please excuse
      the trip into the Forbidden Zone.) I think this is the
      basis for Grant's postwar respect for Wallace. IIRC, he
      has a comment in his memoirs along the lines of: "Few
      commanders accomplish so much with a victory as Wallace
      did with a defeat," referring to Monocacy.

      JFE
    • Will
      Message 92 of 92 , Apr 11, 2003
        > ...Lewis Cass (first governor of
        > Michigan I believe)...

        He was also a general in the war of 1812, Secretary of War under
        Jackson, Secretary of State under Buchanan [until he resigned during
        the secession crisis] and the Democratic Party's Presidential
        Candidate in 1848 (lost to Taylor), in addition to a bunch of other
        sutff (amassador, congressman, senator)