Re: Lew Wallace's Destination

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 92 , Apr 2, 2003
      <josepharose@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Mr. Keene:
      > >
      > > Pittsburg Landing was to the army's left rear. That is exactly
      > > opposite to a position on the right of the lines.
      >
      > How did you come up with 'left'?

      Grant's position at Shiloh didn't get any more *left* than the
      Tennessee River.

      > > P.S. Grant's memoirs state: "A number of attempts were made by
      the
      > > enemy to turn our right flank, where Sherman was posted, but
      every
      > > effort was repulsed with heavy loss." I guess that Sherman's
      > > division was at the landing, if one uses your reasoning.
      >
      > No, you are not using my reasoning at all. The concept of "the
      > right" can apply to a broad area. Since you are going to quote
      from
      > Grant's Memoirs, let's see what else he wrote: "The division of
      > General C. F. Smith was on the right, also in reserve."

      Smith was really not on the left or right. His camps were behind
      the middle of the Union line. See
      http://www.dean.usma.edu/history/dhistorymaps/AcivilwarPages/acws8.ht
      although the 1959 book has a better map just of the camps. Either
      way, Smith had no units to either side and Pittsburg Landing was to
      Smith's left. Any more left and you end up in the river.

      Pittsburg Landing was to the rear (you agree, I trust) and to the
      left; hence, "left rear."

      Joseph

      > ~Will
    • Will
      Message 92 of 92 , Apr 11, 2003
        > ...Lewis Cass (first governor of
        > Michigan I believe)...

        He was also a general in the war of 1812, Secretary of War under
        Jackson, Secretary of State under Buchanan [until he resigned during
        the secession crisis] and the Democratic Party's Presidential
        Candidate in 1848 (lost to Taylor), in addition to a bunch of other
        sutff (amassador, congressman, senator)