Re: Lew Wallace's Destination

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 92 , Apr 2, 2003
      Mr. Keene:

      Pittsburg Landing was to the army's left rear. That is exactly
      opposite to a position on the right of the lines.

      We are similarly diametrically opposed in our arguments.

      Joseph

      P.S. Grant's memoirs state: "A number of attempts were made by the
      enemy to turn our right flank, where Sherman was posted, but every
      effort was repulsed with heavy loss." I guess that Sherman's
      division was at the landing, if one uses your reasoning.
    • Will
      Message 92 of 92 , Apr 11, 2003
        > ...Lewis Cass (first governor of
        > Michigan I believe)...

        He was also a general in the war of 1812, Secretary of War under
        Jackson, Secretary of State under Buchanan [until he resigned during
        the secession crisis] and the Democratic Party's Presidential
        Candidate in 1848 (lost to Taylor), in addition to a bunch of other
        sutff (amassador, congressman, senator)