Re: Lew Wallace's Destination

  • Will
    Message 1 of 92 , Apr 2, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "josepharose" <josepharose@y...>
      wrote:
      > I maintain that Wallace was ordered to the army's "right." That's
      > what he and his aides stated. In the ORs, Grant's aides also
      stated
      > that it was to the right--and not to the Landing, as you maintain--
      > that Wallace was ordered.

      The quotes you provided from Grant's aides indicate that Wallace was
      to march up the river road to the landing.

      > Even Grant in his article wrote: "If the position of our front had
      > not changed, the road which Wallace took would have been somewhat
      > shorter to our right than the River road." He did not claim that
      > Wallace made a mistake by marching to Sherman's flank; Wallace's
      > only alleged mistake in this article is having marched past the
      > battle.

      Read the article. In regard to Wallace's attempt to move to
      Sherman's position, Grant says: "this is not where I had
      ordered him nor where I wanted him to go."

      Therefore, how can you attempt to assert: "As stated above, Grant
      > wished Wallace to march up the River Road to Pittsburg Landing.
      > This is the version given by all the actors at the sending end of
      > the message: Grant, Rawlins, Rowley, Baxter, McPherson." You are
      > thoroughly contradicted by the evidence given by each of these men,
      > the aides in particular.

      Not at all. As I said above, the quotes you provided show these
      aides stating that Wallace was to move up the River Road to the
      landing.

      > Furthermore, did Rowley explicitly mention the River Road as you
      > state that he did?

      Rowley said Wallace was to move up the river. Unless Wallace was to
      travel by boat, this meant the River Road.

      > No map which I have seen shows the Shunpike heading west, which you
      > claim it does as the Tennessee was to the east. Is there an on-
      line
      > map or other source to which you can refer me?

      http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/gmdhtml/cwmhtml/cwmhome.html
      search by keyword Shiloh; look at the map titled
      United States--Tennessee--Shiloh National Military Park. 1901]

      ~Will
    • Will
      Message 92 of 92 , Apr 11, 2003
        > ...Lewis Cass (first governor of
        > Michigan I believe)...

        He was also a general in the war of 1812, Secretary of War under
        Jackson, Secretary of State under Buchanan [until he resigned during
        the secession crisis] and the Democratic Party's Presidential
        Candidate in 1848 (lost to Taylor), in addition to a bunch of other
        sutff (amassador, congressman, senator)