Re: An interesting book

  • Will
    Message 1 of 92 , Apr 1, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
      > Do you know when he wrote that book, before or after 'armies'? In
      > 'Armies' he calls the Vicksburg campaign 'Napoleonic'.

      The book is called "Grant Wins the War" and came out in 1997.
      As if the title didn't give it away, he hypes the campaign as the key
      event of the war and calls it Napoleonic. I thought it was a decent
      book--not great, not bad.

      ~Will
    • Will
      Message 92 of 92 , Apr 11, 2003
        > ...Lewis Cass (first governor of
        > Michigan I believe)...

        He was also a general in the war of 1812, Secretary of War under
        Jackson, Secretary of State under Buchanan [until he resigned during
        the secession crisis] and the Democratic Party's Presidential
        Candidate in 1848 (lost to Taylor), in addition to a bunch of other
        sutff (amassador, congressman, senator)