Re: An interesting book

  • Will
    Message 1 of 92 , Apr 1, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:

      > I'm reading a thin volume from the library printed in the mid-1990s
      > named 'The Armies of U. S. Grant' by James R. Arnold.

      > * Arnold feels that Champion's Hill was the decisive engagement of
      the
      > war. It was a chance for Pemberton to delay the AotT and allow a
      > convergence of two major CSA forces.

      Arnold has another book on the Vicksburg campaign where he makes this
      point as well.

      > * Here's a name I never knew: Irishman Mike Lawler, from Illinois,
      > whose motto was "If you see a head, hit it"...

      As a brigade commander, he led the charge that won the battle at Big
      Black Bridge.

      ~Will
    • Will
      Message 92 of 92 , Apr 11, 2003
        > ...Lewis Cass (first governor of
        > Michigan I believe)...

        He was also a general in the war of 1812, Secretary of War under
        Jackson, Secretary of State under Buchanan [until he resigned during
        the secession crisis] and the Democratic Party's Presidential
        Candidate in 1848 (lost to Taylor), in addition to a bunch of other
        sutff (amassador, congressman, senator)