Re: Lew Wallace's Destination

  • Will
    Message 1 of 92 , Apr 1, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "bjer50010" <bjewell@i...> wrote:
      > > A separate question is whether Wallace should have known
      > better at
      > > the time.
      > >

      > The answer is yes, he should have known it at the time. He and
      > WHL Wallace had agreed to come to each other's aid. Since
      > WHL's camps are close to the point at which Lew actually did
      > arrive on the field, he should have known that was the closer
      > route. In addition, the River Rd. bridge was repaired and the
      > road partially cordouroyed in part by Lew Wallace's men. How
      > could he not have known about the River Rd?

      As far as I recall, the arrangement with WHL Wallace was in order to
      ensure reinforcements for Lew, not the other way around. So all Lew
      needed to worry about was getting a message through and that WHL knew
      where to find him. Also, this arrangement was being made on (IIRC)
      the 4th, so it was a relatively new task. Could it have been done
      better? Sure. I just don't take as critical view of Wallace as you.
      Like the other commanders involved, Wallace was functioning under a
      preconceived notion of how the campaign would unfold: they were on
      the offense; the rebs were on defense. So he spent his time learning
      the roads forward toward Purdy, instead of toward Pittsburg Landing.

      ~Will
    • Will
      Message 92 of 92 , Apr 11, 2003
        > ...Lewis Cass (first governor of
        > Michigan I believe)...

        He was also a general in the war of 1812, Secretary of War under
        Jackson, Secretary of State under Buchanan [until he resigned during
        the secession crisis] and the Democratic Party's Presidential
        Candidate in 1848 (lost to Taylor), in addition to a bunch of other
        sutff (amassador, congressman, senator)