Re: Lew Wallace's Destination

  • bjer50010
    Message 1 of 92 , Apr 1, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Will" <wh_keene@y...>
      <josepharose@y...>
      > wrote:
      > > Do you, therefore, just dismiss Grant's statement regarding
      > > distances? What did he mean by that?
      >
      > See what I wrote before:
      > > > The reference to "right" which you have fixated on is in the
      > > footnote
      > > > where Grant provides a rationale for why Wallace did what
      he
      > did.
      > > If
      > > > the order was received as Wallace claimed (though not as
      Grant
      > > > intended) then, Grant suggests, the route of march made
      some
      > > sense.
      >

      > > Even though every major actor used the word "right," neither
      you
      > nor
      > > Grant seem able to define exactly where Wallace was to go.
      >
      > Incorrect. Grant was clear on where he wanted Wallace to go:
      up the
      > River Road to Pittsburg Landing.
      >

      > > I trust that you are not stating that Wallace was given no more
      > > explicit instructions than that. Please, tell me where Grant
      > wanted
      > > Wallace to go, and list the evidence which confirms that
      opinion.

      > As stated above, Grant wished Wallace to march up the River
      Road to
      > Pittsburg Landing. This is the version given by all the actors at
      > the sending end of the message: Grant, Rawlins, Rowley,
      Baxter,
      > McPherson.
      >

      > > Wallace's "rear" was roughly to the north, as he was headed
      south.
      > > I would think that the fighting was never to his rear even by
      the
      > > most liberal interpretation: that being any point behind a
      > > perpendicular drawn from the line of movement.
      >
      > By this measure, which I think is a good one, the fighting would
      be
      > in his rear as he got near Snake Creek. The Shunpike heads
      in a
      > westerly direction until it crosses Snake Creek.

      Actually it moves in a westerly direction until it crosses Clear
      Creek, which is about where Rowley caught up to him and where
      Wallace decided to countermarch. He thought he was at Owl
      Creek, as the account of the NMP historian makes clear, but he
      was still 3-4 miles away, with a fairly strong Confederate force in
      his front.

      When Rowley caught
      > up with him, Wallace's rear was faced back toward the
      Tennessee and
      > the firing was not coming from the direction he was heading.
      >

      > > The order was seen by the aides. As the aides evidently
      made no
      > > mention of the River Road, they would have not been telling
      the
      > > truth if that is what the orders actually stated.
      >
      > That is not the only possibility. When their opinion on this
      matter
      > was requested, it had been six years since they saw the order.
      They
      > had no surviving copy of the order to refer to. Do you
      remember
      > perfectly things that you read in the spring of 1997?

      The other thing which is odd about the remembrances is that
      Wallace's later version of the orders, about 40 yrs. later, was
      remarkably similar to Rawlins from a yr. later, except for the
      exclusion of the actual Rd. and a couple of other telling details.
      This was why Rich, in his 1911 book, found Wallace's memory
      was probably incorrect and he used Rawlins version as the
      basis for his own.

      JB Jewell

      > ~Will
    • Will
      Message 92 of 92 , Apr 11, 2003
        > ...Lewis Cass (first governor of
        > Michigan I believe)...

        He was also a general in the war of 1812, Secretary of War under
        Jackson, Secretary of State under Buchanan [until he resigned during
        the secession crisis] and the Democratic Party's Presidential
        Candidate in 1848 (lost to Taylor), in addition to a bunch of other
        sutff (amassador, congressman, senator)