Bouncing Messages

  • Dick Weeks
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 4, 2003
      Good Evening,

      Now that I have gotten my "message" problems ironed out I thought I would
      share with you what I have found. First, as you all know I am just the
      owner of this list, Yahoo provides the services. A few days ago I noticed
      that I was not receiving any messages from the CWWT. My problem was to find
      out whether or not it was my email server or Yahoo. I checked my server and
      found it to be fine. I then went to Yahoo and found that the messages from
      Yahoo were "bouncing." By this I mean that the messages from Yahoo were not
      being accepted by my email server. This could have been for a number of
      reasons which I won't go into now. I suspect that my email server went down
      when there was a lot of email traffic from the group. The Yahoo program
      sends out the messages for five consecutive times and looks for an OK before
      it declares the recipient as being on a "hard bounce." When this happens it
      sends a message to the recipient that it has been restored. If this
      "bounces" the member is removed from the list. I found that my server was
      down during one of these times and I was removed from the mailing list. I
      was still the "owner" of the list but could not receive email because my
      name was not on the email list. Therefore I had to "reinstate" myself to an
      active status. Strange ain't it.

      Anyway, the reason I am writing is that we have lost ten members in the last
      few days because of "bouncing." I have the program set up so I know when a
      member unsubscribes or is unsubscribed and there has only been one, but we
      have lost eleven.

      The reason I am writing is to advise you that starting tomorrow, if there
      are no messages for any 24 hour period I will send out a "Test" message just
      to insure the system is working. That way you will know if you are on a
      "bouncing" status. If you do not receive my "Test" message or any message
      from the CWWT for 24 hours either go to the Yahoo CWWT page and reinstate
      yourself or let me know and I will do it for you. I really don't want to
      lose members because their server may have screwed up.

      Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
      http://www.civilwarhome.com