Re: Getting back to the west...

  • Will
    Message 1 of 84 , Mar 4 2:58 PM
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Will" <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi"
      > <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:
      > > If you'd like,
      > > I have uploaded a topographical map with rough estimates of the
      > > fields, woods, and initial troop dispostitions in that area...
      >
      > Is this available for viewing?
      >
      > ~Will

      I figured out where it is. Thanks.

      ~Will
    • bjer50010
      Message 84 of 84 , Mar 19 12:14 PM
        > In a message dated 3/18/2003 10:05:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > bjewell@i... writes:
        >
        > > Appler made
        > > the decision to move his regiment forward, in contradiction of
        > > Sherman's orders. Read Sword. It was his own mistake, not Sherman's.
        > > And the collapse of his regiment resulted from his actions not
        > > Sherman's. The man simply wasn't competent to command a regiment in
        > > battle, as he clearly showed.
        >
        > Appler was not only incompetant, he was a coward only to be paralleled by
        > Gideon Pillow hiding behind a tree while his troops were going forward.

        That's how I read his behaviour. His behaviour during the battle was
        abysmal. But even beforehand his constant "chicken little" routine
        appears to have gotten on Sherman's nerves; hence the sarcastic
        replies. Of course Appler did turn out to be right, thereby proving
        the old adage about a broken clock being right twice a day. ;)

        Many
        > exhibited bravado before battle only to have to clean out their pants
        > afterwards.

        But some of them actually stuck with the fight. To be afraid in combat
        seems normal, but Appler's behaviour defined cowardice.

        > JEJ

        Good to hear from you General.

        JB Jewell