[civilwarwest] POLL: Turning point in the Civil War

  • neho69@hotmail.com
    Message 1 of 38 , Oct 23, 1999
      After which event did the tide of the war change? When did the Union begin to suceed? When did it seem the Confederacy lost the war?

      ----

      Please select one of the following:

      o Gettysburg
      o Vicksburg
      o Death of Stonewall Jackson
      o the Wilderness
      o Grant's promotion to commanding general
      o Fall of Atlanta
      o Emancipation Proclamation

      by going to the following Web form:

      http://www.egroups.com/vote?id=940707190667

      Thank you!
    • Nonums@aol.com
      Message 38 of 38 , Oct 28, 1999
        Hi Karen:
        I appreciated your note. Please allow me to expand on the "if" factor.
        I'm not saying, a la McKinley Cantor's IF THE SOUTH HAD WON THE CIVIL WAR
        which was vaguely historical at best, that wishful thinking has to be
        involved. Rather one can (should?) appreciate a given move gaffe or
        brilliant for what it was, not necessarily what we'd prefer to have happened.
        Cases in point that might be considered: the Union left had the Round
        Tops not been manned clearly credits the Union Gen. Warren, Early's ignoring
        Gordon's insistence on continued attack at Cedar Creek-an "if" that doesn't
        lessen the stunning counter-attack by Sheridan. I believe that more erudite
        than I can note a gaffe by Both sides of the line and the least culpable is
        the victor.
        My examples were of the East and I recognize our format here is the West.
        I'll go to bed tonight trying to compare - ah, how about this one? Wasn't
        it Curtis who didn't know he was licked and came back the following day to
        rout Van Dorn. How about Shiloh and A.S. Johnston's death?
        Your comments please.
        Jack O'Connr SW Florida