RE: [civilwarwest] Getting back to the west...

  • tmix
    Message 1 of 84 , Mar 2, 2003

      Their wasn’t a valid plan to roll up the Union, The Beauregard-Johnston Plan was a failure. Any strict plan would not be able to adhere to. Their attack by echelon was a failure due to the terrain which they failed to consider. Then they ran into the Hornets Nest and spent wasted time and men on a series or frontal attacks directed by Bragg. The only alternative I can see would have been a feint one flank, possibly Hulburt, then a full attack on Sherman’s position, avoiding the center with just enough action in the center to keep them occupied and away from reinforcing Sherman, McClernand and Wallace. Would this plan work? Probably not. Shiloh was not the place to make a fight.  Even catching the Union napping was not enough to secure a win when they should. They allowed the Union too much time to organize and Grant took full advantage of this failure. Grant refused to allow the negatives to out weigh what was needed to be done. He never panicked, never allowed the circumstances to distract him from what they needed to do and his Div. commanders did an excellent job in implementing those orders. Grant used the terrain to his advantage which is something that the Confederates failed to consider in  their plan. Just try to picture how Grant established his final line of defense as opposed to how the Confed. constantly became entangled in  that mass on forestry. The problem that the Confederates could not overcome was Grant. He never lost his perspective and that trait was what separated him from generals in history. .

      Message 84 of 84 , Mar 19, 2003
        > In a message dated 3/18/2003 10:05:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > bjewell@i... writes:
        >
        > > Appler made
        > > the decision to move his regiment forward, in contradiction of
        > > Sherman's orders. Read Sword. It was his own mistake, not Sherman's.
        > > And the collapse of his regiment resulted from his actions not
        > > Sherman's. The man simply wasn't competent to command a regiment in
        > > battle, as he clearly showed.
        >
        > Appler was not only incompetant, he was a coward only to be paralleled by
        > Gideon Pillow hiding behind a tree while his troops were going forward.

        That's how I read his behaviour. His behaviour during the battle was
        abysmal. But even beforehand his constant "chicken little" routine
        appears to have gotten on Sherman's nerves; hence the sarcastic
        replies. Of course Appler did turn out to be right, thereby proving
        the old adage about a broken clock being right twice a day. ;)

        Many
        > exhibited bravado before battle only to have to clean out their pants
        > afterwards.

        But some of them actually stuck with the fight. To be afraid in combat
        seems normal, but Appler's behaviour defined cowardice.

        > JEJ

        Good to hear from you General.

        JB Jewell