Re: [civilwarwest] Sherman's "Negro Letter"

  • VFLOYDREL@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Mar 2 3:03 PM
      In a message dated 3/2/2003 5:59:25 PM Eastern Standard Time, shotgun@... writes:

      I never cease to be amazed at the wealth of knowledge in this group.

        In my case mostly luck..I read this passage a few years ago, and was so impressed with it, I kept it copied in a file,and even used it in my online trivia with ehistory.
                                                                                   Van
      " you might as well rail against the thunderstorm as against these horrors of war"...W.T. Sherman
    • Darrell Harkey

        Message 3 of 16 , Mar 2 3:55 PM
          What prompted this statement?  Did I miss a post?  Who said they were "surprised that Sherman was a racist"?

          Harry

          Message 4 of 16 , Mar 2 4:16 PM
            In a message dated 3/2/2003 6:16:04 PM Eastern Standard Time, hiscord@... writes:

            I am suprised that you are suprised that sherman was a racist.

              I don't see that I was surprised he was a racist..and never said so..I noted I was impressed by the letter...I already knew his proclivities...
            "

          • james2044 <james2044@hotmail.com>
            Message 5 of 16 , Mar 2 5:50 PM
              Sherman was not intrested in having USCT regiments. That was not an
              uncommon feeling up to and including WWII. When you consider the
              times, even considering the idea made him a liberal.

              Now how did that make him a racist?
            • Dick Weeks
              Message 6 of 16 , Mar 2 5:52 PM

                Van, thank you very much.  I never cease to be amazed at the wealth of knowledge in this group.

                Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                http://www.civilwarhome.com
                Message 7 of 16 , Mar 2 6:48 PM
                  This is just the kind of post that I feared when I made the request for info.  That is what I meant by the "can of worms" statement.  I want everyone to be aware that there will be no discussion of Bias, Racism, Bigotry, or Causes of the war in this group.  As for me, I was born and raised in the deep South.  My ancestors owned slaves.  One took one into battle with him.  However, my time of seeing the elephant showed me very quickly that whatever the color of your skin, when you were hit by an enemy round, you would bleed just as red, and die just as dead as anyone else.  There will be no answers to this email to the group.  Those that do will belong to another group shortly, trust me on this one.  If you feel you must respond, please do so by private email.  I answer them all.

                  Dick (a.k.a. Shotgun)
                  http://www.civilwarhome.com
                  I am suprised that you are suprised that sherman was a racist.
                  I never cease to be amazed at the wealth of knowledge in this group.

                    In my case mostly luck..I read this passage a few years ago, and was so impressed with it, I kept it copied in a file,and even used it in my online trivia with ehistory.
                                                                                               Van
                  " you might as well rail against the thunderstorm as against these horrors of war"...W.T. Sherman

                • Daniel F. Giallombardo

                    Message 9 of 16 , Mar 3 6:47 AM
                                                                  Chuck,
                                                     Once again you amaze - even me.

                      carpmaster wrote:

                      Dick Weeks wrote:

                      Thanks Harry.  I have no idea of the time frame.  I suspect the letter was written to Halleck just by the wording of the excerpt from the OR that I posted.  Not sure at all.  Danged if I don't hate these emails that ask for help and don't give me the info to work with.  Thanks for your help, its a start.
                      The Shermans  letter to Halleck was written Sept 4, 1864. Sherman's Civil War, pg. 698
                      The 'negro letter' refers to a letter written to John  A. Spooner Esq. Agent for the Commonwealth
                      of Massachusetts, written July 30, 1864  in Sherman's Civil War. pg 677.  The letter was made public
                      by Spooner  in the August 18, 1864 Chicago Tribune and soon appeared in other papers both North
                      and South. There is also a reference to material in John F.Marazalek's Sherman's Other War: The General and the
                      Civil War press, pg 168-69. (which I don't have)
                      Hope this helps,
                      Chuck in IL.

                    • carpmaster
                      Message 10 of 16 , Mar 4 4:02 AM

                        Daniel F. Giallombardo wrote:
                                                                    Chuck,
                                                       Once again you amaze - even me.
                        Would have replied earlier but just got off work
                         Thank you Dan. Actually I believe this was the 1st time I was able to amaze anyone in this
                        great group. Even amazed myself in beating all the much more knowledgeable people in locating
                        the material Dick was looking for. Especially when considering my meager library.
                        Chuck in Il.