Getting back to the west...

  • slippymississippi <slippymississippi@yah
    Message 1 of 84 , Mar 2, 2003
      I notice that nobody has accepted the challenge to define a battle
      plan that would have rolled up the entire Union line at Shiloh.

      I also notice that certain stuck buttons have failed to address that
      Sherman was not sweeping the roads with infantry because he was under
      very strict orders not to bring on a general engagement.

      I also notice that these posters have not addressed the fact that a
      completely contiguous defensive line was impossible and unnecessary
      due to the dense tangle between the camps at Shiloh.
    • bjer50010
      Message 84 of 84 , Mar 19, 2003
        > In a message dated 3/18/2003 10:05:44 AM Eastern Standard Time,
        > bjewell@i... writes:
        >
        > > Appler made
        > > the decision to move his regiment forward, in contradiction of
        > > Sherman's orders. Read Sword. It was his own mistake, not Sherman's.
        > > And the collapse of his regiment resulted from his actions not
        > > Sherman's. The man simply wasn't competent to command a regiment in
        > > battle, as he clearly showed.
        >
        > Appler was not only incompetant, he was a coward only to be paralleled by
        > Gideon Pillow hiding behind a tree while his troops were going forward.

        That's how I read his behaviour. His behaviour during the battle was
        abysmal. But even beforehand his constant "chicken little" routine
        appears to have gotten on Sherman's nerves; hence the sarcastic
        replies. Of course Appler did turn out to be right, thereby proving
        the old adage about a broken clock being right twice a day. ;)

        Many
        > exhibited bravado before battle only to have to clean out their pants
        > afterwards.

        But some of them actually stuck with the fight. To be afraid in combat
        seems normal, but Appler's behaviour defined cowardice.

        > JEJ

        Good to hear from you General.

        JB Jewell