Ltr #61 March from Tupelo to Memphis, by H. B. Talbert

  • Jack Hultquist
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 4:20 AM
      [The following is from
      Harrison B. Talbert's
      Third Indiana Battery
      Civil War Diary.

      The Battle of Tupelo and the
      return march to Memphis.]

      Thursday   July 14th 1864   [Tupelo] Early in morning our line is formed in the shape of a Horse Shoe.  Skirmishing commences early in day.  8 A.M. Rebs advance in line and appear bent upon destruction, or our defeat: but They are repulsed with heavy loss after near 3 h [hours of] hard fighting.  Our Battery was in front & had one Gun dismounted and a second disabled [6 pounder James rifles].  Lay Bivouaced with lines unchanged.  9 P.M. attack our left but are handsomely repulsed.  Clear & hot.

      [Battle of Tupelo.  Official Records, Volume 39, Part 1.

      "..... The officers and men throughout the entire command conducted themselves in a highly creditable manner.  I desire especially to mention the excellent service of the Third Indiana Battery.   .....  Lieutenant Burns, commanding the battery, cannot receive too much praise for his good conduct on the field. ...."]

      [On the next day the Union Army began to return to LaGrange and then Memphis, Tenn.  The announced reason for the slow retreat was low supplies.]

      Friday   July 15th 1864   Lay in line of Battle until 8 A.M. Giving the Enemy a chance to attack but they will not, then we move out on the New Albany road on our return to Lagrange.  The rear is again attacked, [.....].

      Saturday   July 16th 1864   The advance moves out at 2 A.M. [in the middle of the night.]  Our Brigade & Division in rear, march 13 mile[s and] camp on Isle Creek.  Considerable skirmishing in our rear but nothing more.  Clear & hot.  No forage for horse or man & not more than 1/5 rations issued to us.

      Sunday   July 17th 1864   March 12 miles [and] camp on the Talahasssee River at New Albany [Miss.] where we left 1 week ago this morning.

      Monday   July 18th 1864   Our Division (Col. Moore’s) pass 1st Division.  March near 20 miles on the road to LaGrange [Tennessee] via Salem.  Leave Ripley [Mississippi] to our right.  The rebs have quit bothering, very warm weather.

      Tuesday   July 19th 1864   March 18 miles, camp at Salem Tenn.  Here we meet a train with supplies. Very hot day.  Country rough & roads very bad, our horses are badly jaded [run down].

      Wednesday     [.....].

      Thursday   July 21rst 1864   Early in day arrive at our old camping ground near LaGrange on Wolf River Tenn.  8 P.M. receive orders to load our ammunition chests and all extra baggage on the [railroad] cars and our caison carriages & guns will have to march through to Memphis.  Very pleasant day.

      No 14 F. Queen crossed.  [Is this a train or ferry?]

      Friday   July 22ond 1864   2 P.M. our division start by land for Memphis.  March 12 miles, camp at Moscow on Wolf River.  Very cool.

      Saturday   July 23rd 1864   Move out early in morning. Infantry march to Coliersville [Tennessee] and get aboard the cars. Cavalry escort from here.  March 23 miles camp at Germantown.  Very cool, north wind.

      Sunday   July 24th 1864   Arrive at Memphis 8 A. M., distance 14 miles.  Clear & cool day.

      [Available to the first 100 e-mail respondents who include their mailing address.  FREE CD that includes a quality scanned copy of each letter in Harrison B. Talbert's collection plus enlightening historical data and CW memorabilia graphics.  If you use Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator and enjoyed any portion of these letters, you will enjoy the CD.  Send request and mailing address to jahultqu@...

      A couple nice comments

      _________

      I really like the way you have laid things out, and the delicate touch your editing approach provides.  I have read many published and unpublished diary and letter transcriptions, but your inclusion of photos of the original letters is a great addition. (message # 14299)

      _________

      I received the CD today.  It is wonderful.  I cannot quit looking at it.  You have done a great job in putting everything together.
      _________
      The CD is simply wonderful!!  I enjoyed spending time reading from it immensely.

      I recognize that it took a lot of time to compile this work.  For that, and for sending me a copy, kindly accept my sincerest of thank you's for a job well done.]