Re: The Extent of the Surprise at Shiloh

  • slippymississippi <slippymississippi@yah
    Message 1 of 72 , Feb 28, 2003
      > In a message dated 2/28/2003 8:01:33 AM Eastern Standard Time,
      > bjewell@i... writes:
      >
      > > As for Prentiss, maybe that says
      > > something about Prentiss, whom you have repeatedly tried to
      > > defend.
      >
      > IIRC, Grant had Prentiss hold at all costs at the Hornet's Nest
      which in
      > return would allow the rest of the army time and a chance to
      regroup. ISTM
      > that Sword covered this thought in his "Shiloh." If this be the
      case,
      > Prentiss did his duty as was expected of him.

      That's the way that Prentiss attempted to represent it. IIRC, Grant
      had a completely different recollection. In the end, Prentiss
      attempted to retreat anyway (in fact, a couple of regiments managed
      to escape the encirclement) but found his path blocked because of the
      nature of his position (thick brush on both flanks prevented visual
      contact with the retreating federal line). This fact and Prentiss'
      subsequent self-congratulatory accounts (again, IIRC) seem to support
      Grant's story.
    • slippymississippi
      Message 72 of 72 , Mar 6, 2003
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi"
        <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:
        > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi"
        > <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > Try looking at it this way: some CSA regiments suffered almost a
        > > 90% casualty rate in killed and wounded, suggesting high unit
        > > cohesion.
        >
        > That should read 70%.

        The particular unit I'm thinking of was the 6th Mississippi Infantry
        Regiment under Cleburne. The unit charged Sherman's lines several
        times, suffering 70% killed and wounded before retiring in disorder.
        Half of the remaining men would reform and fight for the remainder of
        the first day.

        This was the first time this unit had seen the elephant, yet these
        numbers suggest a veteran level unit cohesion. Does anyone have
        numbers on how other Confederate units and federal units fared?