Vicksburg Campaign

  • Harry Smeltzer
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
      I posed these questions a couple of days ago, but have not received answers
      to both of them yet:

      1) When did Grant's campaign on Vicksburg officially begin (I believe
      sometime in October 1862)?

      2) When did Grant first resume offensive operations after the fall of
      Vicksburg?

      And here's a new one:

      3) What is the generally accepted date for the beginning of the Siege of
      Petersburg?

      Thanks,

      Harry
    • theme_music <theme_music@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 28, 2003
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Harry Smeltzer <hjs21@c...>
        wrote:
        > I posed these questions a couple of days ago, but have not received
        answers
        > to both of them yet:
        >
        > 1) When did Grant's campaign on Vicksburg officially begin (I
        believe
        > sometime in October 1862)?

        Given that ones definition of beginining is critical<g>..... My oft-
        expressed opinion is that the nature of this campaign has been
        misunderstood or misrepresented by many auhtors. Grant, in fact,
        never embarked on an overland campaign against Vicksburg in 1862, as
        the correspondance from Halleck clearly lays out. I can provide ORs
        supporting the timeline if requested.

        Chronology of Initial Phase of Vicksburg Campaign (1862)

        10/3-4 Battle of Corinth

        10/8 Grant requests re-inforcements from Halleck.
        Rosecrans pursuit of Van Dorn is called off.

        10/26 Grant again requests reinforcements.

        10/26 Grant telegraphs Halleck with his proposal for an
        overland campaign against Vicksburg. Halleck does not approve.

        10/27 Halleck orders reinforcements to Grant's Department.

        11/1 Grant issues orders beginning the move south along
        the Mississippi Central RR to begin 11/3. At this point, Grant is
        moving overland on "Holly Springs, and maybe Grenada, completing
        railroad and telegraph as I go"

        11/12 Grant requests additional railroad resources to
        support his move southward.

        11/15 Halleck nixes railroad operations south of Memphis
        stating "The enemy must be turned by a movement down the river from
        Memphis as soon as sufficient force can be collected"

        12/5 Halleck sets 12/20 as the jump-off date for the
        riverine expedition. Stating that "Your main object will be to hold
        the line from Memphis to Corinth with as small a force as possible,
        while the largest number possible is thrown upon Vicksburg with the
        gunboats"

        > 2) When did Grant first resume offensive operations after the fall
        of
        > Vicksburg?

        July 4, 1863. Grant had prepared, anticipating Pemberton's
        surrender, a force under Sherman whose objective was to push Joe
        Johnston's lurking "Army of Relief" east of Jackson. No major
        battles resulted, but Johnston retreated from Jackson in mid or late
        July.

        > And here's a new one:
        >
        > 3) What is the generally accepted date for the beginning of the
        Siege of
        > Petersburg?

        Hey that's Eastern Theatre. Verbotten! But Jim Epperson is the guy
        to ask that question.

        Eric
      • eric
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 3, 2010
          I was wondering if anyone knows of a website or some other source, where I would be able to find Order of Battles with the number of men to a brigade.. or at least a division.. thank you
        • wh_keene
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 6, 2010
            Union, Confederate, or both?
            And what point in time?

            --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "eric" <eric24729@...> wrote:

            > I was wondering if anyone knows of a website or some other source, where I would be able to find Order of Battles with the number of men to a brigade.. or at least a division.. thank you

          • eric lidy
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 6, 2010
              Both Sides I have complete orders of battle for the whole campaign.. including the operations at port hudson... the river operations... I have order of battles.. for grants and banks armies and reiforcements... and for braggs army.. pembertons over sizes corps.. all garrison units in Miss.. and Johnstons Relief force pulled from bragg and garrison departments... but i have no number to go with the brigades or regiments.. google...wiki..rosters i cant find numbers anywhere

              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 7, 2010
                I cant find anything by brigade and the only numbers I can find for divisions is whats in the Official records.