Equal credit for April 7th

  • josepharose <josepharose@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 27, 2003
      I think that Halleck's congratulatory message makes it rather clear
      that Grant and Buell were equals in command of their individual
      armies and, as Grant did not take it upon himself to take command
      over Buell as he could have done in battle, credit for Shiloh's
      second day should be apportioned generally equally between the two.

      It's odd that some desire to arrogate all the glory to Grant alone.

      GENERAL ORDERS, HDQRS. DEPT. OF THE MISSISSIPPI,
      No.16. Pittsburg, Tenn., April 13, 1862.
      1. The major-general commanding the department thanks Major-General
      Grant and Major-General Buell and the officers and men of their
      respective commands for the bravery and endurance with [which] they
      sustained the general attacks of the enemy on the 6th, and for the
      heroic manner in which on the 7th instant they defeated and routed
      the entire rebel army. The soldiers of the great West have added new
      laurels to those which they had already won on numerous fields.
      2. While congratulating the troops on their glorious success, the
      commanding general desires to impress upon all officers as well as
      men the necessity of greater discipline and order. These are as
      essential to the success as to the victorious; but with them we can
      march forward to new fields of honor and glory, till this wicked
      rebellion is completely crushed out and peace restored to our
      country.
      3. Major-Generals Grant and Buell will retain the immediate command
      of their respective armies in the field.
      By command of Major-General Halleck:
      N. H. McLEAN,
      Assistant Adjutant-General.

      Joseph