[civilwarwest] I'm New

  • Jeff Briggs
    Message 1 of 18 , Oct 27, 1999
      Hello folks.

      Just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Jeff Briggs, long time CW buff and game designer (War of the Rebellion, Sid Meier's Gettysburg and many others) President and CEO of FIRAXIS Games. I look forward to the discussions.

      Jeff
    • Pam and Gary Warner
      Message 2 of 18 , Oct 27, 1999
        I just found out about this group earlier today.  I'm from Ohio and have been interested in the ACW since 1961 at age 6.  I lived in Richmond Va for 10 years so I've been bombarded by that other theater.  I recently read something that Halleck was at Corinth.  I am under the opinion that he spent the war in D.C.  Can anyone shed any light on this?  Gary
      • pattie@cuci.nl
        Message 3 of 18 , Oct 27, 1999
          It is nice to have you with us Jeff. I just wanted to let you know that
          I really enjoy "Sid Meier's Gettysburg". Great job.

          Patrick

          "jeff briggs" <jbrigg-@...> wrote:

          > Hello folks.
          >
          > Just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Jeff Briggs, long
          time CW buff and game designer (War of the Rebellion, Sid Meier's
          Gettysburg and many others) President and CEO of FIRAXIS Games. I look
          forward to the discussions.

          > Jeff

        • Stephen D Wakefield
          Message 4 of 18 , Oct 27, 1999
            Welcome to the crowd
            Just joined and wanted to introduce myself. I'm Jeff Briggs, long time CW buff and game designer (War of the Rebellion, Sid Meier's Gettysburg and many others) President and CEO of FIRAXIS Games. I look forward to the discussions.

            Jeff

            click here
            Click Here!
            eGroups.com home: http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest
          • Stephen D Wakefield
            Message 5 of 18 , Oct 27, 1999
              Gary following Shiloh Halleck was US field commander of the blue forces that approached , laid seige to and ultinmately captured Cornith in early June or late May 62. It was not until later that summer that Halleck went East..

            • JackEhmer123@aol.com
              Message 6 of 18 , Oct 27, 1999
                In a message dated 10/27/1999 2:26:24 PM Mountain Daylight Time,

                << Subj: [civilwarwest] I'm New
                Date: 10/27/1999 2:26:24 PM Mountain Daylight Time
                From: gpjbwarner@... (Pam and Gary Warner)
                To: civilwarwest@egroups.com

                I just found out about this group earlier today. I'm from Ohio and have
                been interested in the ACW since 1961 at age 6. I lived in Richmond Va for
                10 years so I've been bombarded by that other theater. I recently read
                something that Halleck was at Corinth. I am under the opinion that he spent
                the war in D.C. Can anyone shed any light on this? Gary

                Gary,

                I also grew up in Ohio and am especially interested in units from Ohio and
                Pennsylvania, at this time particularly the 11th OVI. Drop me a line.

                Jack Ehmer
              • pedinkler@frontier.net
                Message 7 of 18 , Oct 27, 1999
                  "pam and gary warner" <gpjbwarne-@...> wrote:
                  original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/?start=161
                  > I just found out about this group earlier today. I'm from Ohio and
                  have been interested in the ACW since 1961 at age 6. I lived in
                  Richmond Va for 10 years so I've been bombarded by that other theater.
                  I recently read something that Halleck was at Corinth. I am under the
                  opinion that he spent the war in D.C. Can anyone shed any light on
                  this? Gary

                  This is Waldemar Winkler responding from Southwestern Colorado.

                  To answer your queston I am going to go from memory, so the details
                  might not be exactly right. Anyone who reads this note, please feel to
                  correct me at "pedinkler@...".

                  Halleck replaced the retiring General Fre'mont as Commanding Officer of
                  the Department of the West, who was headquartered in St. Louis. He
                  oversaw the organization of Federal forces in the Western United
                  States, as everyone was gearing up for war. Halleck was keen to secure
                  some kind of command in the East, and eventually capitalized on Grant's
                  victory at Ft. Donelson to secure recognition in Washington. halleck
                  was also responsible for demoting Grant's command responsibilities
                  following Shiloh. Since my interst has been the Western Theatre I am
                  not entirely sure what he did after transferrring to Washington, except
                  that he didn't do it very well. He wasn't the first nor the last in
                  this regard.
                • Pam and Gary Warner
                  Message 8 of 18 , Oct 27, 1999
                    Thanks to every one for your replies. My early interest was in the West and
                    I'm just beginning to return to that interest. Gary

                  • jbriggs@firaxis.com
                    Message 9 of 18 , Oct 28, 1999
                      "pam and gary warner" <gpjbwarne-@...> wrote:
                      original article:http://www.egroups.com/group/civilwarwest/?start=161
                      > I just found out about this group earlier today. I'm from Ohio and
                      have been interested in the ACW since 1961 at age 6. I lived in
                      Richmond Va for 10 years so I've been bombarded by that other theater.
                      I recently read something that Halleck was at Corinth. I am under the
                      opinion that he spent the war in D.C. Can anyone shed any light on
                      this? Gary

                      Yes. After Shiloh, Grant was under a shadow of mistrust (as he should
                      have been -- almost lost that one, no entrenchments, not even with the
                      army when the battle started) and Halleck came down and took personal
                      command of the combined armies of Grant and Buell. Halleck made a slow
                      torturous march from Pittsburg Landing, Where Shiloh was fought to
                      Corinth, entrenching every night after moving roughly one mile a day.

                      Some background, I think explains this. The casualties at Shiloh were
                      horrendous compared to previous battles (I believe they amounted to a
                      figure greater than the size of the US army in the Mexican war) and
                      Halleck, as well as the rest of the country, was in shock! Halleck
                      wanted to take no chances of a repeat -- not on his watch.

                      Hope that helps.

                      Jeff
                    • jbriggs@firaxis.com
                      Message 10 of 18 , Oct 28, 1999