Re: [civilwarwest] Gods & Generals: A Reenactors Review

  • Clyde Thompson
    Message 1 of 3 , Feb 27 4:40 AM

             Mike Vanderboegh:    I will reley on your Reenactors judgement of Gods and Generals.   I didn't know there was a Union Alabama Cavalry.  How fat are they?I guess to be riding horses, they are lean and mean.  I know most of us Artillery boys cast a pertty large shadow.    Thanks for the Review.   Clyde Thompson 19th Ohio Light Artillery(Western).     Have we crossed paths any where, Alabama Union Cavalry?

       Donald Pontious <donpon48@...> wrote:

      I thought the title should have been "The Stonewall Jackson Story" with a
      cameo appearance by the federal army.

      >From: "Mike Vanderboegh" <vanderbo@...>
      >To:
      ><civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com>,<TheCivilWarChronical@yahoogroups.com>,<blue_and_gray@yahoogroups.com>,<CW-REENACTORS@...>
      >Subject: [civilwarwest] Gods & Generals: A Reenactors Review
      >Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 03:13:10 -0600
      >
      >Yeah, I know it ain't "Western Theatre", but since someone has already
      >posted on the subject I thought you might like to read a review from a
      >reenactor buddy of mine of the 1st Alabama Union Cavalry Regiment, Company
      >C.  I haven't seen it yet, but I trust my friend's observations:
      >
      >"Don't know if any of y'all saw it...I went today.  They still haven't
      >found
      >anyone who can play Bobbie Lee.  There are still too many fat reenactors,
      >but
      >at least this time I didn't see any wristwatches.  They reprised a lot of
      >the
      >Gettysburg roles with the same cast members...Kemper, Trimble, Hancock,
      >Hood,
      >Stewart, Chamberlain, Lee's aide, Walter Taylor, and a couple others.
      >Seeing
      >them in a PREQUEL to Gettysburg ten years OLDER than they were is a jolt.
      >It
      >doesn't work.  Jeff Daniel is 51 and fat as Chamberlain.  Patrick Gorman as
      >Hood looks like he's already been to Franklin and lost his leg, Brian
      >Mallon
      >isn't as good a Hancock as he was in the first film.  Gorman as Hood sucks.
      >And Robert Duvall flops as Lee.  All that said, Stephen Lang really
      >humanizes
      >old BlueLight, maybe just a shade too much.  But he does a great job.  And
      >the battle scenes are -- well, you gotta see it.  I thought they were
      >better
      >than Gettysburg, actually.  The Irish Brigade at the stone wall on Marye's
      >Heights is one of the best scenes in the film.  Stonewall with the little
      >girl at Moss Neck Plantation is another "moment."
      >
      >But Ted Turner is still an  a**hole."
      >
      >And I think we can all agree on the last observation, at least, even in
      >this contentious forum.
      >
      >Mike Vanderboegh
      >Pinson, AL

      Clyde