Re: Why not Longstreet?

  • james2044 <james2044@hotmail.com>
    Message 1 of 7 , Feb 26, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, SDE80@a... wrote:

      > Longstreet did more injury to Bragg than all the others put
      together. Davis
      > was a West Pointer who believed in the chain of command. If he
      had the same
      > impression as Mackall, there's your answer as to why Longstreet
      never got the
      > command.

      Longstreet had great standing in the CSA much more than the Generals
      that had problems with Bragg. This was the second most important
      general officer in the CSA say Bragg had to go. It counted much
      more than the men who had been saying this all along.

      Bragg caused his own problems and when you look at his actions after
      Davis supported him, it shows how petty Bragg was. I always though
      Davis put Hood in command for two reasons;

      First, Davis wanted to see if he could kill every man in the AOT and
      JEJ was not losing fast enough. :)