Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Field Officers

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 5 , Feb 21 3:50 PM
      In a message dated 2/21/2003 4:52:14 PM Eastern Standard Time, rayknight@... writes:

      Wasn't it customary to have a Lt. Colonel or a Major in each regiment
      as a second in command? Or did that just fall to the senior company
      commander in most cases?

      As far as I know, the regiment was commanded by a Colonel and the second in command was a Lt Colonel or Major.  However, some regimental commanders left the regiment, but since they still were active duty in another assignment, the regiment never received another Colonel as commander.  This was true in Volunteer regiments.  I doubt it in Regular Army.

      JEJ