Re: A "Proper" Defense in the West

  • Will <wh_keene@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 59 , Feb 4, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, Jfepperson@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 2/4/2003 1:55:29 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      wh_keene@y... writes:

      > > My understading is that he thought there was an imminent threat
      that
      > > the enemy would get Columbus if he didn't act fast. He also
      beleived
      > > he would be welcomed by the State of Kentucky. He may have been
      > > wrong, but the actions he took are understandable based on
      > > what he knew about the situation he faced.
      >
      > Fremont had issued orders to Grant which could be interpreted
      > to mean Grant was soon going to be ordered into KY. IIRC,
      > the phrasing is along the lines of "hold yourself ready to
      > take" Paducah or Columbus. Polk's action rendered this
      > moot.
      >
      > JFE

      And when a small force (12th IL under Col. Waagner with 2 gunboats
      under Comm. Rogers) arrived at Belmont on September 2, Polk wrongly
      interpreted this as a preliminary step to taking Columbus. It was
      like a huge game of chicken and Grant's movements unintentially faked
      Polk into blinking first.
    • Alan Smolinski
      Message 59 of 59 , Feb 7, 2003

        Sustaining your army off  enemy resources while preserving you own is very useful to your moral.

         "Will <wh_keene@...>" <wh_keene@...> wrote:

        Two thoughts in reaction to Madelon's question:

        1)  Offensive campaigns 'liberate' areas theoretically disposed to
        join the Confederacy (ie: Maryland, Kentucky, Missouri) or lost
        through previous advances of the enemy.

        2) Offensives campaign create opportunities to engage the enemy on
        your terms in his territory.  Victories in this situation could have
        much greater impact on the will of the enemy populace and thus
        greater political impact than defensive victories within one's own
        territory.

        ~Will

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, meheatherington@j... wrote:
        > In light of Hank Clark's recent notion about the 'offensive' North
        and
        > the 'defensive' South, I have another question.
        >
        > If, with Hank, we stipulate that "all CSA successes were strictly
        > offensive" (whilst acknowledging that this is a mere stipulation,
        yes yes
        > the Hunley, torpedos, etc.), then what, really, did the South
        expect to
        > gain by taking the offensive?
        >
        > My understanding is that the Confederacy's oft-repeated political
        aim
        > (failing either European recognition or one grand knock-out Cannae
        that
        > would bring the North militarily to its knees) was simply to
        outwait the
        > Union, keep up the fighting for so long that squeamish Northern
        civilians
        > (apparently assumed to be less stout of heart than their Southern
        > counterparts) would sue for a cessation of hostilities, after which
        the
        > South would stagger away, content to be let alone.  Winning by
        > not-losing, so to speak; victory by endurance.
        >
        > So how does a flair for the offensive, with its glamor *and* its
        hideous
        > attrition rate, advance that rather low-keyed wait-'em-out grand
        > strategy?
        >
        > Or does anybody in the Southern high command think that far ahead?
        >
        > Regards,
        > Madelon

        Do you Yahoo!?