Re: [civilwarwest] A "Proper" Defense in the West

  • GnrlJEJohnston@aol.com
    Message 1 of 59 , Feb 4, 2003
      Hello Jfepperson@...,

      In reference to your comment:

      è I'm not sure.  I think the only viable physical line was
      è the Ohio River, but I don't think that was viable in any
      è sort of realistic way.  JFE

      Basically IMHO there were three rivers that made a viable physical line, and the Federals used them quite effectively.  Ohio, Tennessee, and the Cumberland.  In reality, all three were highways for the Union.

    • Alan Smolinski
      Message 59 of 59 , Feb 7, 2003

        Sustaining your army off  enemy resources while preserving you own is very useful to your moral.

         "Will <wh_keene@...>" <wh_keene@...> wrote:

        Two thoughts in reaction to Madelon's question:

        1)  Offensive campaigns 'liberate' areas theoretically disposed to
        join the Confederacy (ie: Maryland, Kentucky, Missouri) or lost
        through previous advances of the enemy.

        2) Offensives campaign create opportunities to engage the enemy on
        your terms in his territory.  Victories in this situation could have
        much greater impact on the will of the enemy populace and thus
        greater political impact than defensive victories within one's own

        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, meheatherington@j... wrote:
        > In light of Hank Clark's recent notion about the 'offensive' North
        > the 'defensive' South, I have another question.
        > If, with Hank, we stipulate that "all CSA successes were strictly
        > offensive" (whilst acknowledging that this is a mere stipulation,
        yes yes
        > the Hunley, torpedos, etc.), then what, really, did the South
        expect to
        > gain by taking the offensive?
        > My understanding is that the Confederacy's oft-repeated political
        > (failing either European recognition or one grand knock-out Cannae
        > would bring the North militarily to its knees) was simply to
        outwait the
        > Union, keep up the fighting for so long that squeamish Northern
        > (apparently assumed to be less stout of heart than their Southern
        > counterparts) would sue for a cessation of hostilities, after which
        > South would stagger away, content to be let alone.  Winning by
        > not-losing, so to speak; victory by endurance.
        > So how does a flair for the offensive, with its glamor *and* its
        > attrition rate, advance that rather low-keyed wait-'em-out grand
        > strategy?
        > Or does anybody in the Southern high command think that far ahead?
        > Regards,
        > Madelon

        Do you Yahoo!?