Re: A partial defense of JEJ

  • Dave Smith <dmsmith001@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 19 , Jan 29 12:10 PM
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Will <wh_keene@y...>"
      <wh_keene@y...> wrote:

      > > On a related topic, my copy Grabau has an error on map #50. The
      > > topographical info is there, but the troop data is missing.
      Anyone
      > > have the correct map? Any possibility I could get you to send me
      > > copy?
      >
      > The copy I got from the library was the same way.

      As is mine.

      Dave
    • Dave Smith <dmsmith001@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 19 , Jan 29 12:11 PM
        --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "hank9174 <clarkc@m...>"
        <clarkc@m...> wrote:

        > Dang, go away for a long weekend and return to a 'museum of
        > carnage' as Ernie Pyle called it...

        to our nightmare ... :-)

        Dave
      • slippymississippi <slippymississippi@yah
        Message 3 of 19 , Jan 29 12:19 PM
          --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Dave Smith <dmsmith001@y...>"
          <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:
          > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Will <wh_keene@y...>"
          > <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
          >
          > > > On a related topic, my copy Grabau has an error on map #50.
          The
          > > > topographical info is there, but the troop data is missing.
          > Anyone
          > > > have the correct map? Any possibility I could get you to send
          me
          > > > copy?
          > >
          > > The copy I got from the library was the same way.
          >
          > As is mine.

          Grabau lives down the road from my dad's office. When my mom dropped
          in to get him to sign my copy, he stole the book and gave it back a
          couple of weeks later with all the corrections taped in. I could
          probably scan map #50 and post it here. But I don't have a scanner
          and I'm pretty busy these days, so it may take awhile.
        • Will <wh_keene@yahoo.com>
          Message 4 of 19 , Jan 29 12:23 PM
            <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:
            > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "theme_music
            <theme_music@y...>"
            > <theme_music@y...> wrote:
            > >
            > > ...I've always wondered if there was
            > > some confusion here, given the similarity of the names...
            >
            > From my research, there was no confusion in the names.

            After pausing to reflect, I agree with Dave.
            ~Will
          • slippymississippi <slippymississippi@yah
            Message 5 of 19 , Jan 29 12:26 PM
              <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
              > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "theme_music
              <theme_music@y...>"
              > <theme_music@y...> wrote:
              > >
              > > At one point, just after he'd been shoved out of Jackson, JEJ
              > orders,
              > > or possibly suggests, that Pemberton meet him in Clinton. But
              > after
              > > issuing this order, JEJ moves north to Canton instead of west or
              > > southwest to Clinton. I've always wondered if there was some
              > > confusion here, given the similarity of the names. How far off
              base
              > > am I? I could see, with my lousy handwriting, someone reading
              > Canton
              > > as Clinton.
              >
              > Interesting point. I could also see JEJ--not feeling so well,
              tired,
              > not 100% up on local geography--putting down the wrong name.

              It's hard to see how he could get the two confused. Clinton was
              where the enemy was, Canton was the only direction out of town not
              interdicted by federal forces. His escape would necessarily involve
              marching down Canton Road. Imagine if he issued marching orders for
              his troops to march in column down the "Clinton Road." That would
              have been amusing.

              In Johnston's mind, it was probably pretty simple to keep up with.
              Canton: good.
              Clinton: bad.
            • Will <wh_keene@yahoo.com>
              Message 6 of 19 , Jan 29 1:10 PM
                --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi
                <slippymississippi@y...>" <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:
                > ...When my mom dropped
                > in to get him to sign my copy, he stole the book and gave it back a
                > couple of weeks later with all the corrections taped in...

                Are there a lot of corrections?
                Anything of substantive interest?

                ~Will
              • slippymississippi <slippymississippi@yah
                Message 7 of 19 , Jan 29 3:07 PM
                  <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
                  > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "slippymississippi
                  > <slippymississippi@y...>" <slippymississippi@y...> wrote:
                  > > ...When my mom dropped
                  > > in to get him to sign my copy, he stole the book and gave it back
                  > > couple of weeks later with all the corrections taped in...
                  >
                  > Are there a lot of corrections?
                  > Anything of substantive interest?

                  To be honest, I don't know! The corrections that really struck my
                  eye were the tiniest: he had actually printed out the word "north" on
                  a sheet of paper, carefully xacto-knifed it into a tiny rectangle,
                  and glued it into the book over the word "south," or something like
                  that. Holy cow! I would have settled for an errata sheet.

                  =)