Re: Whereabouts of Grant and his staff

  • bjer50010 <bjewell@iastate.edu>
    Message 1 of 50 , Jan 27, 2003
      --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "Will <wh_keene@y...>"
      <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@yahoogroups.com, "bjer50010 <bjewell@i...>"
      > <bjewell@i...> wrote:
      > > ...He was not on a social engagement...
      >

      > The only source I am aware of for the "engagement" is Ammen.
      >
      > What Ammen tells us is that Grant said he had an engagement and as
      > result Ammen should not come to the house that evening.

      His actual wording, just for completeness, is the following, [Grant
      said] "Be sure and call at the brick house on the river tomorrow
      evening, as I have an engagement for this evening." He and Gen.
      Nelson then rode off. Gen. Buell arrived about sundown. I called on
      him at his HQ, about a quarter of a mile from my tent."

      > Ammen does not tell us:
      > What time the engagment was to begin;

      Only that it was "for this evening". Of course given
      past "discussions" on the exact meaning of evening, I'm sure this
      will generate some controversy. ;)

      > When the engagment was to end;

      Not a word.

      > The purpose for the engagment;

      Not a word.

      > Who the enagement was with;

      Not a word.

      > Or where the engagement was to take place.

      Not a word. It may even have been at the Cherry House.

      FWIW, ISTM that Grant was making arrangements with Ammen, with whom
      he had been on friendly terms, to meet the next evening (possibly for
      a social engagement?). But he was under no obligation to inform
      Ammen of his plans, no matter what they were. The simple fact of the
      matter is he informed Ammen he would not be available to meet, with
      him (Ammen), until the next evening.

      > Without other material, there is a lot that remains unknown. For
      > example I can't tell whether the engagement took place at the
      Cherry
      > Mansion, at some other house in Savannah, or outside of Savannah.

      Exactly. FWIW, Badeau wrote that Grant was on the field at PL early
      in the day and had ridden out to meet with Sherman. This was
      probably where he was when Ammen arrived around noon in Savannah.
      Badeau also indicated that Nelson himself reported to Grant and that
      Grant ordered Nelson's army to encamp up along the road towards the
      crossing to PL. This would suggest that Grant left PL early in the
      afternoon and that Nelson reported to him at Savannah, whether in his
      office or not I don't know; but they then rode together out to
      Ammen's camp.

      > What we do know is that Grant spent the night in Savannah and that
      he
      > was uninformed that Buell had arrived. The engagement seems
      > irrelevent.

      That about sums it up; except to say that we do know Buell spent the
      evening in Savannah as well (both from Ammen and from Buell's own
      account in B&L), but that he did not inform Grant of his arrival.
      IMO, whether Grant was in Savannah the evening of the 5th is not
      relevant to Buell's duty to report his arrival to him; as has been
      stated ad nauseum. Apparently both Ammen and Nelson either reported
      or attempted to report their arrival, but Buell did not. This
      explains why Grant could issue positive orders to Nelson on the
      morning of the 6th, but why he only wrote a sketchy message to Buell,
      whom he did not know had arrived.

      > -Will

      JB Jewell
    • bjer50010 <bjewell@iastate.edu>
      Message 50 of 50 , Jan 27, 2003
        <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
> [...]

        Ammen's camp.

        > What we do know is that Grant spent the night in Savannah and that
        he
        > was uninformed that Buell had arrived. The engagement seems
        > irrelevent.

        That about sums it up; except to say that we do know Buell spent the
        evening in Savannah as well (both from Ammen and from Buell's own
        account in B&L), but that he did not inform Grant of his arrival.
        IMO, whether Grant was in Savannah the evening of the 5th is not
        relevant to Buell's duty to report his arrival to him; as has been
        stated ad nauseum. Apparently both Ammen and Nelson either reported
        or attempted to report their arrival, but Buell did not. This
        explains why Grant could issue positive orders to Nelson on the
        morning of the 6th, but why he only wrote a sketchy message to Buell,

        JB Jewell