9 Month Regiments

  • Will <wh_keene@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 22, 2003
      In August of 1862 Lincoln made a call for, I think, 300,000 more
      volunteers to enlist for 9 months. Can anyone shed any light as to
      the role of 9-month men in the western armies?

      The one incident I do know is that much of Banks' army at Port Hudson
      was made up of 9-monthers whose terms were about to expire. As a
      result he faced a discipline problem which prompted an interesting
      recommendation from Halleck about aiming his artillery at his own men.

      Were there any similar problems in the other armies?

      ~Will