Re: [civilwarwest] Sherman and the newspapermen

  • Aurelie1999@aol.com
    Message 1 of 84 , Jan 5, 2003
      Sherman's war with the scribblers is well documented.  It began even before the war, in California when Sherman was blamed in the press for the failure of his bank.  He was certain that all journalists were greedy tattlers at best and spies at worst.  He spent a lot of energy and effort fighting a sidebar action that produced little except discomfort for every newspaperman who came into Sherman's site.

      By contrast Grant was pragmatic and didn't bother with minor spats and handled the journalists in much more
    • josepharose <josepharose@yahoo.com>
      Message 84 of 84 , Mar 3, 2003
        Mr. Weeks,

        You recently mentioned not having an index to Sherman's memoirs,
        IIRC, which makes me think that you or others might also not have a
        digital copy of that work or of other useful books.

        Would it be helpful, and would your website have the extra megabytes
        (several MBs per book, roughly), for me to upload into your database
        such texts as Sherman's, Grant's, and Sheridan's memoirs and Van
        Horne's biography of Thomas? If so, once I return home, I would be
        glad to do so.

        I could put these in Word and/or .TXT formats.

        Joseph