RE: [civilwarwest] CLEBURNE EMANCIPATION - 2 JANUARY 1864

  • Daniel Moran
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 30, 2002
      Walker. It seems his name popped up with an endorsement to the Cleburne
      document of 1864 as well. I've never seen this letter, but his comments
      were not the least bit flattering about his 1864 transmittal. It may
      have been quite an influence on Davis' fragile ego on such matters as
      well.

      Subject: Re: [civilwarwest] CLEBURNE EMANCIPATION - 2 JANUARY 1864

      I think Helena, Arkansas is the common denominator here. In July, 1861
      W.S. Turner of Helena petitioned the war department for authority to
      organize slave regiments. Here is the letter from the ORs, Ser. IV, Vol

      1, page 482

      Kevin S. Coy

      HELENA, ARK., July 17, 1861.
      Hon. L. P. WALKER:
      DEAR SIR: I wrote you a few days since for myself and many others in
      this district to ascertain if we could get negro regiments received for
      Confederate service, officered, of course, by white men. All we ask is
      arms, clothing, and provisions, and usual pay for officers and not one
      cent pay for negroes. Our negroes are too good to fight Lincoln
      hirelings, but as they pretend to love negroes so much we want to show
      them how much the true Southern cotton-patch negro loves them in return.

      The North cannot complain at this. They proclaim negro equality from the

      Senate Chamber to the pulpit, teach it in their schools, and are doing
      all they can to turn the slaves upon master, mistress, and children. And

      now, sir, if you can receive the negroes that can be raised we will soon

      give the Northern thieves a gorge of the negroes' love for them that
      will never be forgotten. As you well know, I have had long experience
      with negro character. I am satisfied they are easy disciplined and less
      trouble than whites in camp, and will fight desperately as long as they
      have a single white officer living. I know one man that will furnish and

      arm 100 of his own and his son for their captain. The sooner we bring a
      strong negro force against the hirelings the sooner we shall have peace,

      in my humble judgment. Let me hear from you.
      Your old friend,
      W. S. TURNER.

      LWhite64@... wrote:
      > It could be said that Hindman was Cleburne's best friend back in
      Helena,
      > they both lived in the same down. Hindman was EXTREMELY outspoken and

      > made many political foes. In one incident, Hindman and Cleburne were
      > walking down the street when Hindman was attacked, in the struggle
      > Cleburne was shot defending Hindman.
      >
      > Lee
      > <http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/>.

      Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to