Thomas and Duplicity

  • laurarose1886 <Aurelie1999@aol.com>
    Message 1 of 84 , Dec 27, 2002
      Earlier in the month there were a lot of posts flying back and forth
      regarding whether George Thomas was ever guilty of duplicitous
      behavior. While rearranging books tonight, I came across the
      following incident.

      In 1864 while preparing for his Atlanta Campaign Sherman allowed De
      B. Keim of the NY Herald to accompany his army. It was most probably
      due to the recommendation of General McPherson. Sherman quickly
      regretted his decision when the Herald announced that the Union had
      broken the Confederate cipher. "Sherman became furious and ordered
      General George H. Thomas to discover the culprit. Thomas quickly
      settled on Keim and suggested he 'should at once be executed as a
      spy.' Sherman immediately ordered McPherson to arrest the reporter
      and deliver him to Thomas for punishment. McPherson asked Thomas for
      a clarification of Sherman's order, and Thomas surprisingly answered
      that he 'did not know anything about Keim' or why Sherman had ordered
      his arrest. . . Thomas was either playing military politics, or he
      was trying to avoid another Knox incident. Fortunately Sherman never
      discovered his duplicity." [Sherman's Other War by John Marszalek pgs
      180-181]

      Marszalek's sources are listed as WTS to George Thomas 6/29/64;
      Thomas to McPherson, 6/30/64; O.R. Ser. I, 38, pt 4: 637,642
    • josepharose <josepharose@yahoo.com>
      Message 84 of 84 , Mar 3, 2003
        Mr. Weeks,

        You recently mentioned not having an index to Sherman's memoirs,
        IIRC, which makes me think that you or others might also not have a
        digital copy of that work or of other useful books.

        Would it be helpful, and would your website have the extra megabytes
        (several MBs per book, roughly), for me to upload into your database
        such texts as Sherman's, Grant's, and Sheridan's memoirs and Van
        Horne's biography of Thomas? If so, once I return home, I would be
        glad to do so.

        I could put these in Word and/or .TXT formats.

        Joseph