Re: Bragg's order to Stewart at Chickamauga September 19, 1863

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 3, 2002
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
      snips

      > The disposition of old Peter's troops certainly indicate he was
      > neither contemplating nor prepared for an attack en echelon. His
      > wing was 2 divisions deep, maybe 3?

      My simple question is, given the fact that Longstreet arrived on the
      field sometime around midnight, met with Bragg (actually woke him
      up), learned of the plans, and had, perhaps five or six hours
      (without sleep) to find, locate, arrange, and organize a complicated
      attack - what should anyone expect of him?

      That he took a complicated situation, simplified it, and achieved a
      breakthrough, seems to speak volumes to me.

      > So what was he thinking? Pickett's Charge with depth? Did he know
      > the weakness of the blue line on his front prior to initial
      > contact? Why do I have the feeling these answers and more can be
      > found in the group archives?

      Doubtless, given the charter of this group, this issue has been
      argued before, perhaps ad nauseum. If so, I apologize - but I'm not
      changing my interpretation of a complicated battle.

      What was Old Pete thinking? Hard to say, other than what he wrote 30
      years after the war, when under attack from all sides.

      Did he understand, somehow, that covering 150 yards from the woods to
      the far side of the Brotherton Cabin was best served as an attack in
      depth? Makes good sense to me.

      Dave