Re: Bragg's order to Stewart at Chickamauga September 19, 1863

  • hank9174
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 3, 2002
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
      > > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:
      > >
      > > So Longstreet's attack was separate from the initial effort and
      > > after it had *peter*ed out?
      >
      > Nice play on words. :-)
      >
      > It's not so much that it was separte, but that it wasn't
      > certainly "en echelon." Some had to do with more correctly
      > understanding the situation, and some had to do with not enough time
      > given by Bragg to order such a rascal.

      The disposition of old Peter's troops certainly indicate he was
      neither contemplating nor prepared for an attack en echelon. His wing
      was 2 divisions deep, maybe 3?

      So what was he thinking? Pickett's Charge with depth? Did he know the
      weakness of the blue line on his front prior to initial contact? Why
      do I have the feeling these answers and more can be found in the group
      archives?

      HankC
    • Dave Smith
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 3, 2002
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
        snips

        > The disposition of old Peter's troops certainly indicate he was
        > neither contemplating nor prepared for an attack en echelon. His
        > wing was 2 divisions deep, maybe 3?

        My simple question is, given the fact that Longstreet arrived on the
        field sometime around midnight, met with Bragg (actually woke him
        up), learned of the plans, and had, perhaps five or six hours
        (without sleep) to find, locate, arrange, and organize a complicated
        attack - what should anyone expect of him?

        That he took a complicated situation, simplified it, and achieved a
        breakthrough, seems to speak volumes to me.

        > So what was he thinking? Pickett's Charge with depth? Did he know
        > the weakness of the blue line on his front prior to initial
        > contact? Why do I have the feeling these answers and more can be
        > found in the group archives?

        Doubtless, given the charter of this group, this issue has been
        argued before, perhaps ad nauseum. If so, I apologize - but I'm not
        changing my interpretation of a complicated battle.

        What was Old Pete thinking? Hard to say, other than what he wrote 30
        years after the war, when under attack from all sides.

        Did he understand, somehow, that covering 150 yards from the woods to
        the far side of the Brotherton Cabin was best served as an attack in
        depth? Makes good sense to me.

        Dave