Telegraph

  • thecoys@kingcon.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 3, 2002
      How long would it take for a message to get from Chattanooga to the
      White House using the telegraph?

      Kevin S. Coy
    • Dave Gorski
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 5, 2002
        Re: [civilwarwest] Telegraph
        How long would it take for a message to get from Chattanooga to the
        White House using the telegraph?

          I have not seen a specific telegram from Chattanooga to Washington,
        but, I have seen a specific example of a telegram from Nashville to
        Washington.  I think it would be safe to assume that the times would
        be similar.
          A telegram was sent at 9 p.m. was received at 11:25 p.m.  Most of these messages were sent in cipher, and the time taken to translate the message
        would be included in this.
          At Chickamauga, Rosecrans had taken telegraphers with him to widow Glenn's
        house.  Lines had been established to Chattanooga, Rossville, and through to
        Washington.  Charles Dana reported having sent 11 dispatches to Washington
        on September 19th.
          Dana's "Chickamauga is as fatal a name in our history as Bull Run..."
        message was sent out from Chattanooga at 4 p.m.. The message went through Nashville, where it was leaked to the press. Dana had done his own ciphering
        of the message, reducing the amount of time it would have taken to send. It would seem quite likely that the message was received at the War Department
        in a matter of two to three hours.

        Regards, Dave Gorski

      • carlw4514
        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 5, 2002
          11 telegraphs ? Halleck must have been fit to be tied at the expense!!