Re: Bragg's order to Stewart at Chickamauga September 19, 1863

  • Dave Smith
    Message 1 of 14 , Dec 3, 2002
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
      > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:
      >
      > So Longstreet's attack was separate from the initial effort and
      > after it had *peter*ed out?

      Nice play on words. :-)

      It's not so much that it was separte, but that it wasn't
      certainly "en echelon." Some had to do with more correctly
      understanding the situation, and some had to do with not enough time
      given by Bragg to order such a rascal.

      Dave
    • hank9174
      Message 2 of 14 , Dec 3, 2002
        --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:
        > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
        > > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Dave Smith" <dmsmith001@y...> wrote:
        > >
        > > So Longstreet's attack was separate from the initial effort and
        > > after it had *peter*ed out?
        >
        > Nice play on words. :-)
        >
        > It's not so much that it was separte, but that it wasn't
        > certainly "en echelon." Some had to do with more correctly
        > understanding the situation, and some had to do with not enough time
        > given by Bragg to order such a rascal.

        The disposition of old Peter's troops certainly indicate he was
        neither contemplating nor prepared for an attack en echelon. His wing
        was 2 divisions deep, maybe 3?

        So what was he thinking? Pickett's Charge with depth? Did he know the
        weakness of the blue line on his front prior to initial contact? Why
        do I have the feeling these answers and more can be found in the group
        archives?

        HankC
      • Dave Smith
        Message 3 of 14 , Dec 3, 2002
          --- In civilwarwest@y..., "hank9174" <clarkc@m...> wrote:
          snips

          > The disposition of old Peter's troops certainly indicate he was
          > neither contemplating nor prepared for an attack en echelon. His
          > wing was 2 divisions deep, maybe 3?

          My simple question is, given the fact that Longstreet arrived on the
          field sometime around midnight, met with Bragg (actually woke him
          up), learned of the plans, and had, perhaps five or six hours
          (without sleep) to find, locate, arrange, and organize a complicated
          attack - what should anyone expect of him?

          That he took a complicated situation, simplified it, and achieved a
          breakthrough, seems to speak volumes to me.

          > So what was he thinking? Pickett's Charge with depth? Did he know
          > the weakness of the blue line on his front prior to initial
          > contact? Why do I have the feeling these answers and more can be
          > found in the group archives?

          Doubtless, given the charter of this group, this issue has been
          argued before, perhaps ad nauseum. If so, I apologize - but I'm not
          changing my interpretation of a complicated battle.

          What was Old Pete thinking? Hard to say, other than what he wrote 30
          years after the war, when under attack from all sides.

          Did he understand, somehow, that covering 150 yards from the woods to
          the far side of the Brotherton Cabin was best served as an attack in
          depth? Makes good sense to me.

          Dave