Re: [civilwarwest] Re: Alternate Resources for Confederate Soldiers

  • Bill Brown
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
      > > Alternate Resources for Confederate Soldiers
      > > One of the puzzles I have faced for years is that there are no military
      > > service records at the National Archives and Records Administration
      > > (NARA) for
      > > my great-grandfather who served in the Confederate Army.
      >
      > It has been my experience in researching Louisiana Confederates that
      > literally hundreds who served do not have compiled military service
      > records at the National Archives. This is due in part to the
      > destruction of records (particularly muster rolls) during and shortly
      > after the war. Additionally, there are dozens of muster rolls in
      > various archives and libraries that apparently never went to the
      > Confederate War Department and thus are not now in the National
      > Archives.

      Yes, there is a treasure cove of missing muster rolls in various State
      Archives and State Historical Societies. In the case of the North Carolina
      State Archives, some of these military records are even found in the county
      records. In addition to muster rolls, there are great information found in
      pension records, and those records dealing with payment of bounties in
      accordance with the conscription acts.

      I have found that Compilied Service Records (CSR's) are usually about 85%
      correct, and even worse on soldiers with common names.

      Good Luck,
      Bill Brown
      NC Office of Archives and History