Re: Alternate Resources for Confederate Soldiers

  • Henry Sibley
    Message 1 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
      > Alternate Resources for Confederate Soldiers
      > One of the puzzles I have faced for years is that there are no military
      > service records at the National Archives and Records Administration
      > (NARA) for
      > my great-grandfather who served in the Confederate Army.

      It has been my experience in researching Louisiana Confederates that
      literally hundreds who served do not have compiled military service
      records at the National Archives. This is due in part to the
      destruction of records (particularly muster rolls) during and shortly
      after the war. Additionally, there are dozens of muster rolls in
      various archives and libraries that apparently never went to the
      Confederate War Department and thus are not now in the National
      Archives.

      Art Bergeron
    • Bill Brown
      Message 2 of 3 , Dec 2, 2002
        > > Alternate Resources for Confederate Soldiers
        > > One of the puzzles I have faced for years is that there are no military
        > > service records at the National Archives and Records Administration
        > > (NARA) for
        > > my great-grandfather who served in the Confederate Army.
        >
        > It has been my experience in researching Louisiana Confederates that
        > literally hundreds who served do not have compiled military service
        > records at the National Archives. This is due in part to the
        > destruction of records (particularly muster rolls) during and shortly
        > after the war. Additionally, there are dozens of muster rolls in
        > various archives and libraries that apparently never went to the
        > Confederate War Department and thus are not now in the National
        > Archives.

        Yes, there is a treasure cove of missing muster rolls in various State
        Archives and State Historical Societies. In the case of the North Carolina
        State Archives, some of these military records are even found in the county
        records. In addition to muster rolls, there are great information found in
        pension records, and those records dealing with payment of bounties in
        accordance with the conscription acts.

        I have found that Compilied Service Records (CSR's) are usually about 85%
        correct, and even worse on soldiers with common names.

        Good Luck,
        Bill Brown
        NC Office of Archives and History