Ltr #58 Louisa the Preacher to H. B. Talbert

  • Jack Hultquist
    Message 1 of 1 , Dec 1, 2002
      [The following letter is Preacher Louisa Talbert Myer’s February 1864 letter to her brother HarrisonThe letter had no punctuation marks.  Some punctuation has been added for clarity.]

      [February, 1864, Shelby County, Indiana]

            Dear Brother      Through the kind Mercies of God I am once more seated in order to answer thy kind and affectionate Letter Dated Dec" 30.  It always does me good to get a Letter from thee although I often hear from thee other ways.  I was sorry to hear that the weather had been so cold where you were.  We thought probably you were so far south that it would not be near so cold there as it was here.  I suppose it was not as cold by several degrees as it was here but I recon [reckon] you thought it cold enough. When that cold weather set in I thought of the Soldiers.  It seemed to me that they would c[e]rtainly Freeze to Death or at least those that were exposed to the Snow and Freezing air.  We thought it pretty hard to stand here at home where we had plenty of good food, warm houses, and good beds to lay in at night.  When I think of the hardships and exposures of the soldiers, standing between us and thee Enemy, securing to us peace and Homes wherein we can dwell in safety and worship God under our own vine and Fig, Free where none dare interupt or make us afraid, My Heart is filled with Love and sympathy for the Brave and True Hearted Soldier.  And I think if any person on Earth deserves the Prayers of true Hearted Christians anymore than others it is the Soldiers.  And I tell you you have the prayers of the best men and Women that Live in the world.  Evry Loyal Heart Beats High for the Soldier, for its only through them that we have any hope of the Nations life.  [.....]  Look up and be encouraged, go on by faith in Christ, not trusting in the strength of feble man, but in the strength of Israels God who is strong and mighty in battle.  There has been a good many revivals of religion through this country this winter.  The Baptist Church at Little Blue came togather about four weeks ago.  It sresulted in great good, about 60 joined the church.  We had a very good meeting here at [U. B.] Blue River Chapel about the same time. There was 18 accessions to the Church.  All professed religion but two.  I will mention their names, Jacob Boher and Mary Ann, they had belonged to the church before but lost their membership when they moved and got back very cold, Susanah Bower [Bosuer?], Susan Bealman, Elisabeth Bealman, Mary Dix, Amanda Carter, Louisa Talbert, Mary J Young, Eliza J Carmony, Jane Bright, Winfield Wicker, John Hearst, Abigail Wintin, Leeroy Dryer, and Martha Louisa Dennis.  Nathan Young had been a member before but was expeled and joined again. Brother Nichols made a collection the first Sabbath the meeting was in progress for the purpose of sending the Telescope to the soldiers.  He got 55 doll[ars] or upwards.  Thee may look for a paper soon if thee has not all ready got one.  When thy time is out and thee comes home thee can let some one take it the balance of the time, some one that will make good use of it.  Harris I wish thee would write a letter to the Telescope office for publication if they [thee/thy] would have a mind to do so.  I believe the lord has blest thee with gifts and talents that should be improved to his honor and glory. And from the letters thee has sent home I have the impression that thee might be usefull and do good in this way.  I do not say this to flatter thee I say it for thy good.  Thee said in thy letter that thee had had a dark road to travel for a long time, and thee faulted no one for it but thyself.  Our happiness and spiritual enjoyment depends a great deal on the effort that we make to be usefull to others and make them happy as well as be happy ourselves.  We may think our talents are but small, that we can do but lit[t]le, but we should remember that he who gave them requires an improvement of every one, and just as fast as we improve the grace and talents that he has given us, just that fast he will increase our enjoyments and our knowledge of divine things.     [End of letter]

      [Harrison didn't use his gifts and talents and write the Telescope as Louisa hoped he would.  But wouldn't Louisa be pleased and Harrison surprised to know his gifts and talents made it on the internet, six generations later.  For the times Louisa's gifts and talents weren't too bad either.]

      [Available to the first 100 e-mail respondents who include their mailing address.  FREE CD that includes a quality scanned copy of each letter in Harrison B. Talbert's collection plus enlightening historical data and CW memorabilia graphics.  If you use Internet Explorer or Netscape Navigator and enjoyed any portion of these letters, you will enjoy the CD.  Send request and mailing address to jahultqu@...  ]