Proclamations! [was Re: OT: Origins of Thanksgiving

  • carlw4514
    Message 1 of 4 , Nov 27, 2002
      Lincoln was rather famous with his detractors for his "procamations"
      -- a rather regal practice, after all. But it sounds like it was not
      unheard of prior to him. Am I wrong in thinking Presidents don't do
      proclamations now? How common was it other than with Linclon, anyone know?
      Carl
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., Huddleston.r@a... wrote:
      > Steve,
      >
      > While the celebration of a Day of Thanksgiving has a number of
      contenders as
      > the "First," the National Holiday we will observe tomorrow is a
      result of
      > President Lincoln's proclaiming a national day in November 1863.

      [...]
    • Will
      Message 2 of 4 , Nov 27, 2002
        Itas been done by all recent presidents...far too often in my opinion.

        Here is last years Thanksgiving proclamation:
        http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/11/20011116-3.html

        Here is a list of all the proclamation by Bush so far:
        http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/proclamations/

        I think the earlier Presidents made far less Proclamations, mostly
        because there wasn't this ridiculous proliferation of Honorary __
        Week or National __ Month [insert favorite cause].

        In addition to commemorative events, there were Proclamations for
        more serious events as well, such as Lincoln's Proclamation declaring
        that a state of insurrection existed in certain states or President
        A. Johnson's Proclamation that the insurrection was over.

        Some earlier president's had similar things--Jefferson made a
        Proclamation regarding insurrection in upstate New York over
        resistence to the embargo acts. I think Jefferson also issued a
        Proclamation announcing the Louisiana Purchase. I think Lincoln set a
        new standard comared ot his predecessors, but then again the events
        of his Presidencey were unique.

        ~Will

        > Lincoln was rather famous with his detractors for his "procamations"
        > -- a rather regal practice, after all. But it sounds like it was not
        > unheard of prior to him. Am I wrong in thinking Presidents don't do
        > proclamations now? How common was it other than with Linclon,
        anyone know?
        > Carl
        > --- In civilwarwest@y..., Huddleston.r@a... wrote:
        > > Steve,
        > >
        > > While the celebration of a Day of Thanksgiving has a number of
        > contenders as
        > > the "First," the National Holiday we will observe tomorrow is a
        > result of
        > > President Lincoln's proclaiming a national day in November 1863.
        > >
        > [...]
      • carlw4514
        Message 3 of 4 , Nov 27, 2002
          Holy cow that is a lot of proclaiming! Does seem to mostly be silly
          stuff, now, not anything like emancipation or
          into-the-dungeon-with-ya-without-habeus-C type stuff. I wonder if
          "proclamation" is mentioned in the constitution?
          Carl
          --- In civilwarwest@y..., "Will" <wh_keene@y...> wrote:
          > Itas been done by all recent presidents...far too often in my opinion.
          >
          > Here is last years Thanksgiving proclamation:
          > http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/releases/2001/11/20011116-3.html
          >
          > Here is a list of all the proclamation by Bush so far:
          > http://www.whitehouse.gov/news/proclamations/
          >
          > I think the earlier Presidents made far less Proclamations, mostly
          > because there wasn't this ridiculous proliferation of Honorary __
          > Week or National __ Month [insert favorite cause].
          >
          > In addition to commemorative events, there were Proclamations for
          > more serious events as well, such as Lincoln's Proclamation declaring
          > that a state of insurrection existed in certain states or President
          > A. Johnson's Proclamation that the insurrection was over.
          >
          > Some earlier president's had similar things--Jefferson made a
          > Proclamation regarding insurrection in upstate New York over
          > resistence to the embargo acts. I think Jefferson also issued a
          > Proclamation announcing the Louisiana Purchase. I think Lincoln set a
          > new standard comared ot his predecessors, but then again the events
          > of his Presidencey were unique.
          >
          > ~Will
          >

          > --- In civilwarwest@y..., "carlw4514" <carlw4514@y...> wrote:
          > > Lincoln was rather famous with his detractors for his "procamations"
          > > -- a rather regal practice, after all. But it sounds like it was not
          > > unheard of prior to him. Am I wrong in thinking Presidents don't do
          > > proclamations now? How common was it other than with Linclon,
          > anyone know?
          > > Carl
          > > --- In civilwarwest@y..., Huddleston.r@a... wrote:
          > > > Steve,
          > > >
          > > > While the celebration of a Day of Thanksgiving has a number of
          > > contenders as
          > > > the "First," the National Holiday we will observe tomorrow is a
          > > result of
          > > > President Lincoln's proclaiming a national day in November 1863.
          > > >
          > > [...]
        • Will
          Message 4 of 4 , Nov 27, 2002
            > Holy cow that is a lot of proclaiming! Does seem to mostly be silly
            > stuff, now, not anything like emancipation or
            > into-the-dungeon-with-ya-without-habeus-C type stuff. I wonder if
            > "proclamation" is mentioned in the constitution?
            > Carl

            I don't think it is.

            However, some (many? most? not sure) proclamations are the results of
            Congressional acts which delgated or directed the President to do
            certain things.

            For example, Lincoln relied on the Militia Act of 1795 for his
            authority in proclaming the existence of an insurrection.
            See: http://www.constitution.org/mil/mil_act_1792.htm

            I think the Emancipation Proclamation was presented as an exercise of
            the authority given him in the Second Confiscation Act.

            ~Will