Re: [civilwarwest] Johnston: California to Richmond via ... (???)

  • Tom Gilbert
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2002

      While I can't pinpoint it just now, I think Johnston went from California to theTexas gulf coast, then took ship directly to Richmond ... by the way, I have a little trivia question in this regard ... where was A.S. Johnston's first Civil War command after resigning from the U.S. Army? Little hint, his tenure lasted only 10 days, and was in the summer of 1861. Guess that wasn't much of a hint .. how about this .. note I said above "in this regard" .. occured during his long journey from California to Richmond .. ...... Tom Gilbert

       slippymississippi <slippymississippi@...> wrote:

      Is there any indication that Johnston stopped to speak with Polk
      before continuing on to Richmond?  As a native of Kentucky, is it
      possible that Johnston rubber stamped Polk's plan to take Columbus,
      explaining that he would smooth things over with Davis in Richmond
      (Johnston and Davis were, after all, very close friends, and Johnston
      was a native of Kentucky and probably assumed that Kentucky was just
      waiting for an excuse to secede ala Virginia).

      Do you Yahoo!?