Re: Setting up defense line 2nd day of Chickamauga

  • josepharose
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 25, 2002
      Roger,

      Welcome.

      As I remember, Thomas returned from the nighttime meeting with
      Rosecrans et al. and found that his left did not reach the Lafayette
      (?) road. That caused him to request that Negley, of his corps, be
      sent to reinforce his left--as he felt that the Union left was the
      key to the whole position. I don't think that he knew that the left
      didn't extend far enough until he returned from the meeting.

      The placement of the beaten-up units in the second line would seem to
      make sense, but I'm not sure that I've ever heard how that was done.
      Maybe the divisional commanders ordered it or maybe Thomas did.

      Joseph