Re: [civilwarwest] Hood and Franklin

  • Chris Huff
    Message 1 of 141 , Sep 1, 2000
      Jack wrote:

      "> Good evening all,
      > The comparison of Gettysburg to Franklin begs the question, in my
      mind,
      > as to where in hell was a logical artillery bombardment prior to such an
      > extensive frontal assault?
      > Will one of you AoT experts please address that issue?
      > Yr obt svt,
      > Jack"

      Dear Jack,

      Gen. Hood wrote "The artillery was instructed to take no part in the
      engagement, on account of the danger to which women and children in the
      village would be exposed". So it looks like he just decided not to use the
      artillery. People were a lot more polite then.

      Chris Huff
      Atlanta, GA
    • Ronald black
      Message 141 of 141 , Feb 28, 2007
        Tom;
        They say that timing is everything but you don't quite have it right.  W.H.L. Wallace was wounded late in the day, about 5:00 pm during the withdrawal of his troops and while they were in the process of being trapped by the confederates.  There is a possibility that he may have been captured if he was not wounded.  Wallace's division took position at 10:00 am in the Duncan field and the western portion of the sunken road.  They held until about 4:00 pm, the retreat began first with the artillery, then the regiments started pulling back.  At this time, they started to come disorganized while in the withdrawal, those still in front line positions continued to hold for a short while longer.  The balance of units fighting at the front after 5:00 pm were commanded by Prentiss and he had troops from all three divisions and they were coming unglued.  The surrenders started shortly, about 5:30.

        As to Grant and the sunken road, I believe that he had very little to do with the selection of this lane as a position.  At 10:00 am, Wallace and Hurlbut ordered and put their troops in position along this lane and placed Prentiss' survivors between them.  Grant only approved their choice of position.  Actuall the Official Reports are mostly silent about Grant and this position.
        Ron