Reply to Addison Hart re "Old Joe"

  • George Butler
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2000
      Here is the story :

      In early 1890 (don't hold me to the year, it could have been 1889)
      the
      General travelled to Atlanta for a Confederate memorial ceremony and
      reunion. There was a parade through Atlanta and he shared an open
      carriage with Kirby Smith. The parade had just begun when the cry
      went
      up "Theres Joe Johnston" and hundreds of people surrounded the
      carriage.After they reached out their hands to him, someone unhitched
      the horses and men took up the traces. They pulled the carriage for
      the parade length, cheering all the way.As paticipents recalled it,
      the normally taciturn "Old Joe" nearly broke down and tears were
      running down his cheeks.

      What a wonderful tribute to an outstanding human being!

      I'm sure you know the story about him at W.T> Shermans funeral. If
      not, I'll be more than happy to relate. Also, he was pallbearer at
      the
      funerals of U.S. Grant & George McClellan

      I will be pleased to take on Bob Redman's request to know more about
      the Generals movements before Vicksburg fell.Let me know if I should
      or you would prefer to.

      Did you know the only outdoor statue of "old Joe" is at Dalton,Ga ?
      After a visit to Chickamauga in July, I visited Dalton to see it.
      Have pictures of it, if anyone is interested.

      Rock on
    • George Butler