Re: Deja Vu

  • bjer50010
    Message 1 of 9 , Nov 20, 2002
      --- In civilwarwest@y..., DORR64OVI@a... wrote:
      > In a message dated 11/18/02 3:17:05 PM Eastern Standard Time,
      > bjewell@i... writes:
      >

      > > BTW, have you read the Engle biography of Buell. He spends a
      couple
      > > of pages on Thomas' refusal to accept command at Louisville and
      > > includes an interesting anecdote about a previous heated argument
      > > between Thomas and Buell. It includes insults thrown by Thomas
      and a
      > > drawn sword by Buell. Quite a story if true. The incident
      occurred
      > > at Munfordville during the retreat from Chattanooga to Nashville.
      > >
      > > JB Jewell
      > >

      > I have not had the opportunity to read the book on Buell but it
      will make the
      > list someday. These damn book clubs are just too good with their
      offers and
      > so the pile of as yet unread CW titles by my bed grows. McPhersons
      new work
      > on Antietam and Rheas Cold Harbor joined the pile this week.

      Can't complain too loudly. I remember the days when finding a beat
      up old copy of anything by Catton was a major coup. Of course back
      in those days I had too much time and not enough to read, now it
      seems to be the opposite.

      > Anyway...I was aware of this incident in Engel's work. Sounds
      > interesting but a little too far-fetched. I'll check it out when I
      can.

      I get the impression that Engle himself finds the incident far-
      fetched. It certainly doesn't sound like Thomas but Buell pulling a
      sword on someone is somewhat believable, at least from the tenor of
      the rest of the book. He did provide several sources though which I
      shall have to check on.

      > Thanks
      >
      > Kent Dorr

      JB Jewell