Hood

  • tsalagibra@aol.com
    Message 1 of 156 , Aug 5, 2000
      Regarding the recent posts about ole Sam Hood, I am reminded of something
      that I read quite a while ago. Apparently there were heated discussions
      amongst Sam's veterans who met at various reunions. The arguments generally
      began between his soldiers from the Eastern Theater who praised his
      generalship and the soldiers of the AOT who felt he had personally lost the
      war for the South.
      Sam was a very good tactician but I believe a poor strategist. His
      determination to break the Union center while ignoring recommendations from
      his subordinates (Forrest and others) about a flanking movement demonstrates
      his inability as the ultimate commander to consider other options. As a
      Division Commander I believe he showed tenacity, daring, and initiative in
      carrying out Longstreet's strategies, but I also believe he was an early
      example of the Peter Principle (promoted to one level above competence).
      And to be honest, I thought I was the only one left who would stand to
      his defense. Glad to see the open-mindedness of this group.

      Steve
    • SDE80@aol.com
      Message 156 of 156 , Mar 25 6:11 PM
        In a message dated 3/25/2006 3:33:57 PM Eastern Standard Time, LWhite64@... writes:
        It interests me that Hardee would harshly criticise Deas, a friend, for intoxication and not say anything about Hood, whom he disliked.  Also, interesting that Hardee does not mention Hood's failure to attack at Cassville.
        Thanks, Lee.  Interesting indeed.

        Sam Elliott