Re: [civilwarwest] Railroad Site

  • Aurelie1999@aol.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
      Couple of days ago we were discussing railroads in the Civil War.  Today by accident I found an excellent site (it may have been in the list someone posted), but if not it is worth visiting.  It is a Fort Leavenworth site: Combined Arms Research Library
      Command & General Staff College, which gives me confidence in its credibility.

      Also ordered the book Railroads in the Civil War: The Impact of Management on Victory and Defeat by John Clark. I am looking forward to it since it is a comparative study of two major troop movements via rail - Longstreet's and Hooker's.

      Following is a snippet from the Leavenworth site comparing mules to rail.  I thought it is amusing and worth sharing whether trains are your thing or not.

      "The Civil War-era steam locomotive, although unreliable by modem standards, was still somewhat more dependable on campaign than draft animals. Mules, in particular, tended to operate under their own value system and could not always be relied upon to do their patriotic duty. Moreover, when not in use, the locomotive did not consume any fuel, whereas animals kept eating whether they were working or not. Finally, the manufacture of locomotives could be modified and expedited to meet demand. But the mule comes in only one model, and its "manufacture" is governed by inflexible biological timetables."

      Connie

    • Aurelie1999@aol.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 1, 2002
        Cool move, I forgot to include the site URL.  : Combined Arms Research Library
        Command & General Staff College  http://www-cgsc.army.mil/carl/resources/csi/gabel4/gabel4.asp#getty

        Connie